• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astro 1.25" EP's TSN3 (1 Viewer)

Neil Hagley

I'm not being lazy as I have searched to see if this has been asked before and I don't think it has so here goes ... is there an adapter to allow astro eyepieces to fit a 77mm TSN 3. If so is there any merit in going with the Baader zoom compared to the original Kowa zoom (which I sold ages ago)? Also in practical terms how would the 77mm compare against the modern big boys like the Zeiss 85mm?
many thanks for any thoughts.

I still have a TSN-3, although I upgraded to a Swarovski ATS80HD last year. The Kowa is still a good scope, and certainly has the capacity to handle a decent zoom. I doubt that you'd get an astro EP to fit (as far as I know Kowa never made an astro adapter for these scopes).
I managed for years with only a 30xw, but about 18 months ago bought the newest zoom (model no. TSE-Z9B), though I've now sold it after getting the Swaro. It certainly transformed the scope, and can be had for £189 on WarehouseExpress. Many people seem to think that Kowa's zooms are all as bad as the old ones. I can honestly say that this is not true, and you should try to take a look at one at least. Compared with the latest big scopes, the TSN-3 holds up pretty well. Not quite as sharp, and loses a little in brightness/clarity, but not as much as you might think.
I suppose it all depends on whether you are prepared to spend less than £200, or £1000 or more. The other new fixed wideangle eyepieces for the 660 and 600 series are also supposed to be an improvement on the old ones, and will also fit your TSN-3. Unfortunately I can’t vouch for that from experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back