• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do know if a bat is protected? (1 Viewer)

alexf

UK, India, Hungary
Hi All,

My local school field and park are about to be built over with another school, flood lit football pitches etc

I have noticed a few different sizes of Bat flying around an old tree in these fields for the last few years. How do I find out if these are a protected species, before it all gets bulldozed?

Thanks

Alex

The simple answer is that all bat species are protected under Annex IV of the EU Habitats Directive. If the tree is a potential roost site and is likely to be removed by the development then you should contact your local planning department as they have a legal responsibility to take this into account.

Capercaillie71 said:
The simple answer is that all bat species are protected under Annex IV of the EU Habitats Directive. If the tree is a potential roost site and is likely to be removed by the development then you should contact your local planning department as they have a legal responsibility to take this into account.

Thank you, good, thats just what I wanted to hear.

Many thanks

Alex

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back