• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AT80 to a Tele-Vue 76? (1 Viewer)

PinarellO

I have a 6 year old AT80 which after looking at a new Swaros' no way am I going to a new AT80HD at $2100+ w/zoom piece. I might as well just get a Tele-Vue 85 to lug around like a pack-mule.

I think the Apochromatic Tele-Vue 76 at $1700 for a full pakage is the better way to go. From what I have seen so far it is a little brighter.

Anyone else?

PinarellO said:
I have a 6 year old AT80 which after looking at a new Swaros' no way am I going to a new AT80HD at $2100+ w/zoom piece. I might as well just get a Tele-Vue 85 to lug around like a pack-mule.

I think the Apochromatic Tele-Vue 76 at $1700 for a full pakage is the better way to go. From what I have seen so far it is a little brighter.

Anyone else?
I know I've banged on at length about this elsewhere, but I strongly advise you have a look at the Nikon ED82A, it's the equal, IMHO, of anything out there optically, and it costs only 1300 or thereabouts from Warehouse Express (with whom I have no connection whatsoever!). I was also looking at 80mm scopes and gobsmacked by the current prices of the European models. I got the ED82A and am delighted with it, I added on the zoom (having had a 30xw eyepiece for it anyway). The zoom is a bit narrow on FOV, but superb on every other aspect. Check out the reviews!

Scotty,

Is your AT80 the HD or the non-HD? If it is the HD, and if it is a good unit, the 76mm Tele-Vue (or the other top scopes, for that matter) is not likely to be dramatically better.

Kimmo

Optical performance notwithstanding, the Televue 76 is not a field scope. I've seen a couple that felt like they were going to break to pieces at the first rattle of a pick-up truck.

Try the new Swarovski eyepieces in your scope first before making a decision. The 30x is a great eyepiece. The Swarovski ED 65 mm is a great scope and very rugged/waterproof which the Televue isn't. It should be in your price range. Neil

Also, the new Swaro zoom on the old AT-series scope gives about 21-63x magnification, with somewhat better brightness, contrast and colour balance. You also get somewhat wider fields of view, especially at the higher magnifications, and better edge resolution. So, if you have a good AT 80 HD, this is a very nice option.

Kimmo

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back