• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kenn Kaufmans - Kingbird Highway (1 Viewer)

Doug

I have just finished reading this book on the recommendation of several BF members and would like to add my voice to recommending it to you.

It involves the account of a young (16/17 yr old) Kenn dropping out of school to spend a year trying to see more birds in the USA than anyone else.

He lives on a $ a day, hitchhiking, sleeping in ditches and under bridges and covers the whole continent many times. It is an awesome feat and his love of birds and birders along with his amazing experiences and meetings with many revered birders is an enthralling read.

His account of birding in Alaska is superb.

it also gives us outside the USA a flavor of what birding is (was) like in the USA. Imagine hitching for a week across the whole width of the USA in appalling weather to dip out on a Spotted Redshank of all things!!!

If you love reading about birds and the exploits of birders and have enjoyed books like Tales of a Tribe and Wild America you will love this

Doug

PS - if anyone can recommend other similar books - I am always very grateful to hear about them

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back