• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need hiking boots/shoes (1 Viewer)

MurometsVLD

I have been trying to find some hiking boots or shoes that are waterproof but also quite breathable, the only problem with all the boots I have tried is that they are way to warm and I do prefer boots because of the greater ankle support. I was just wondering if anyone can suggest a brand or such that makes waterproof but fairly breathable boots/shoes. Thanks ahead of time.

Ilya

Hi Ilya

I started a thread recently on boots here which you may like to have a look through. I don't know if all of them are available in the US.

It didn't cover shoes, so hopefully someone will have some information on them for you.

D

A great selection of quality work/hiking/outdoor boots is Danner. I wear them for the same reason you specified. Their webpage for women's selections is:

http://www.danner.com/nav/sizeFinde...r_womens&size=0&sortby=price&asc=false&page=1

The link sometimes opens, sometimes not, or often directs you to a partial list of items only. There should be 71 products, 9 pages, to pick from. Otherwise, just go to the home page and conduct the search from scratch. You may want to check out a boot called "Explorer" -- it seems to meet your criteria.

Good luck.

Last edited:
A great selection of quality work/hiking/outdoor boots is Danner. I wear them for the same reason you specified. Their webpage for women's selections is:

http://www.danner.com/nav/sizeFinde...sc=false&page=1

The link sometimes opens, sometimes not, or often directs you to a partial list of items only. There should be 71 products, 9 pages, to pick from. Otherwise, just go to the home page and conduct the search from scratch. You may want to check out a boot called "Explorer" -- it seems to meet your criteria.

Good luck.

Thanks. Just a small comment...Ilya is a Russian guys name but oh well.

MurometsVLD said:
Thanks. Just a small comment...Ilya is a Russian guys name but oh well.

Apologies, and I KNOW that too! (I hadn't had my coffe yet). Anyway, so much the better as Danner's selection is even larger for men.

Good luck.

It's alright, and that mistake is not as annoying as when my teachers attempt hopelessly to pronounce my last name. Thanks again!

Ilya

MurometsVLD said:
I have been trying to find some hiking boots or shoes that are waterproof but also quite breathable, the only problem with all the boots I have tried is that they are way to warm and I do prefer boots because of the greater ankle support. I was just wondering if anyone can suggest a brand or such that makes waterproof but fairly breathable boots/shoes. Thanks ahead of time.

Ilya
During the twenty three years we lived in Scotland I used a pair of Italian Zamberlan boots. All leather with a soft leather lining.They have tramped over the Scottish hills in all weathers. Excellent, and are still wearable after over thirty years, though I have to admit the soles are becoming a bit worn. Five years ago, when my wife and I were going on a walking trip to Andorra, we both decided we needed a pair of lighter, but waterproof boots. We both ended up with pairs made by AKU, Leather and synthetic material with a waterproof Gore-Tex lining.AKU is an Italian company not well known in the UK, I don't know about the USA. Their website is www.aku.it They are the most comfortable boots I have ever had, and I have been hill walking and climbing since I was a schoolboy in the 1950s.

There are lots of good makes, however the most important thing to do is to TRY THEM ON.I tried at least a dozen makes or models before settling on the AKUs. I pronate quite markedly and I found some boots threw my feet out of alingment or I had problems with the heel when I walked. It is not only the boot but also the shape of the sole which is important. The model of AKU boots I have are fitted with a Vibram sole with a very rounded ribbed heel.

In East Anglia where the highest point is about 10 metres above sea-level I wear a pair of hiking shoes made by Karrimor Ksb Cyclone Low eVent. These are described as multi-activity shoes and are line with waterproof eVent which is similar to Gore-Tex. I also find them very useful when tramping about Cambridge on the few occcasions when it snows.

Happy hiking

Try L. L. Bean. They have several models of Gore-tex boots and a very liberal return policy. Their guarentee is the best, if you are not happy for any reson return them.

I would go for a leather pair of boots with no water proof liner,then get a pair of goretex socks,the socks come cheaper and are easier to replace and unlined boots are cooler in the warmer months.Hope this helps.
cheers

I use Berghaus Explorer IV GTX Gore-Tex lined boots, These are lightweight, breathable & comfortable straight out of the box

I've had a pair for about a year & they are just showing a bit of wear on the heels but the uppers are fine, These have done high mileage, used all weather's, Totally neglected & are still going strong!

I'm so impressed by these I've just bought another pair :clap:

Regards Bish :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back