• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garnlydan Reservoir (1 Viewer)

luke

A Welsh birder in Dorset!
This site is situated at the border of the county which leads into breconshire. It is a large expanse of water with large areas of moorland in the surrounding area. Historically this site has been suprisingly good for wading birds with unusual records of wimbrel, spotted redshank and black tailed godwit and breeding records for dunlin and golden plover. Now only common sandpiper, lapwing, curlew can be found throughout the spring and summer.

The Reservoir holds reasonable numbers of wigeon, mallard, goldeneye and good numbers of goosander which regularly roost at the reservoir. This site is particularly good for raptor with hen harrier, marsh harrier, merlin, peregrine, hobby, kestrel, sparrow hawk, Goshawk, Red kite, common buzzard and even osprey on passage. It is now one of the most reliable places to see Red kites in the county. The surrounding moorland hold good numbers of Red grouse and snipe.

The adjacent forestry is also worth a visit, as siskin and crossbill can often be seen throughout the year.

Grid Ref: SO1713

I have been to Scotland on a few occasions on holiday and still the only three sightings of Osprey i have ever had have been at and around this site!

Must take a walk up there with the dog then !! Went up to the Lower Carno a little while a go and it was still empty - Didn't see much birdlife except the odd buzzard or two.

The Valley Walker said:
Must take a walk up there with the dog then !! Went up to the Lower Carno a little while a go and it was still empty - Didn't see much birdlife except the odd buzzard or two.
next time your up there, its worth a walk upto the top res as theres usually a few goldeneye about and crossbill in the forestry leading upto it.

good numbers of bird around the Res last wednesday. 27 lapwing (thats very good for the area), 3 goosander, 2 sand martin, 2 swallow, and best of all an adult summer yellow-legged gull!

just to add: there are also nightjars in the adjacent forestry in the young plantations. only found them this evening.

I am considering a walk up there tomorrow if I have time. Should I head for a specific location...? You mentioned that Siskin and Crossbill are resident throughout the year, can I ask where should I aim for to sit with my pop-up camo tent for a few hours that would get me the best chance of spotting some...?

Thanks Luke.

Last edited:
If you wanted to go to the reservoir theres a small layby on Llangynidr Road just past the sign for Powys on the right. but if you wanted to go to the forest you need to park up a road called reservoir road. You need to park somewhere around SO163125 (http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/getamap/) and head North and it will take you to the forestry. i havnt seen crossbill up there for a while, they dissapeared after breeding but siskin are still about. the grid ref for the layby for the reservoir is SO167137.

i wouldnt think the setting up a hide would help to much in spotting them, i usually walk and cover as much area as possible and you will hear them calling before you see them. there are also a good number of lesser redpoll near the top reservoir in the forestry. again, you'll hear them before you see them.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back