• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta 7x42 at only $619? (1 Viewer)

I believe there is nothing else on the market at this price that compares in quality.
Only complaints are the lousy rain guards and objective covers but the former is easily remedied with a cheap universal cover.

John

PS.- Have you noticed that the FOV of the 8x42 is identical to that of the 7x42?
I was told by a Meopta representative that the prism design of the 42mm B1s was optimized for 8x magnification.

Last edited:
That price is definitely lower than the typical price for those bins at most retailers. However I can think of at least one place that was selling them for less than $799. I think it was Eurooptics.com. They do not have their prices listed on the website but you can email for a price list. I think several of the Meostar models were in the low to mid $700s.

John,

Just as a side not I found that the Vortex Razor "wrap around" objective covers fit the Meostar, and the Leica BN for that matter, quite nicely.

FrankD said:
John,
Just as a side not I found that the Vortex Razor "wrap around" objective covers fit the Meostar, and the Leica BN for that matter, quite nicely.

Thanks, Frank, the Leica covers should be easy to obtain here.

John

John,

What I meant to say is that the Razor's covers fit both the Meostar and the Trinovid BN. I know you and Chartwell were discussing objective covers for the Meostars previously...and I know there have been quite a few complaints in the past about the lack of objective covers for the Trinovids.

oleaf said:
Hello,

Been looking for these Meopta 7x42s and found them at only $619...

Too good to be true? These are selling for $799 elseware.

http://www.binoware.com/show_bino.php?11201001

8x42s are at $689. You have to hit the shopping cart tio see the actual price.

Cheers

How do these opticaly compare with Nikon 8x32 SE ? I have been interested in Meopta for a while now but they were a little out of my price range. The price you found is definately comparable with that of SE's I found @ JR.com. Any comparison comments?

The 8x32 SE has truer color representation and slightly better edge of field sharpness.

The 7x42 Meostar has a brighter image and a wider true field of view.

I prefer the ergonomics of the Meopta though the SE is much lighter.

Just off the top of my head and without actually having owned both bins at the same time.

FrankD said:
The 8x32 SE has truer color representation and slightly better edge of field sharpness.

Just off the top of my head and without actually having owned both bins at the same time.

I presently own the 7 x 42 Meopta and once owned the 8 x 42 SE (but sold it due to persistent blackouts). I agree with almost all of Frank's comments except I find the edge of field sharpness in the Meopta to be better.

chartwell99 said:
I presently own the 7 x 42 Meopta and once owned the 8 x 42 SE (but sold it due to persistent blackouts). I agree with almost all of Frank's comments except I find the edge of field sharpness in the Meopta to be better.

Tom,

You are going to make some enemies with that statement. :)

You may be right. I am going by memory with the 8x32 SE as well. If John Traynor and I get together in the near future I will be sure to compare the two in question. I know the Meostar has darn fine edge of field sharpness but I have the mental impression that the SE was a bit better. It may also be that the SE exhibits less CA and overall while the Meostar displays more as you get closer to the edges of the image and that is influencing my comparison of the two. It may also be that the 7x model displays noticeably less than the 8x which is what I am using at the moment.

FrankD said:

So how many do you have now to keep, not just check out, Frank?

And how is the internet connection?

Tero said:
So how many do you have now to keep, not just check out, Frank?

And how is the internet connection?

Good Morning Gentlemen,

I have the SE 8x32 and love it , probably for all the reasons why everyone else loves it. Since the bin bug has bitten I am seriously considering the Meopta so I would have both. Would having both be redundant? I have checked out the specs on both 7x42 and 8x42 and see the difference in brightness primarily.

My question is, does the magnification between the 2 make much difference in the field? I like 8x and wonder about 7x. I must say that I really have no experience with 7x. I you could be so kind and enlighten me? Thank you much. Paula

pw53 said:
Good Morning Gentlemen,

I have the SE 8x32 and love it , probably for all the reasons why everyone else loves it. Since the bin bug has bitten I am seriously considering the Meopta so I would have both. Would having both be redundant? I have checked out the specs on both 7x42 and 8x42 and see the difference in brightness primarily.

My question is, does the magnification between the 2 make much difference in the field? I like 8x and wonder about 7x. I must say that I really have no experience with 7x. I you could be so kind and enlighten me? Thank you much. Paula

An important difference in the field between the two is noticeably greater depth of field/focus in the 7x, which translates into far less focussing and much faster acquisition of usable images. That attribute, coupled with superior early dawn and late dusk capabilities, makes the 7x complementary to the 8 x 32SE in my opinion. I had blackout issues with my SE 8 x 32, so I also find the 7x Meopta to offer a far more relaxed and easy view.

chartwell99 said:
An important difference in the field between the two is noticeably greater depth of field/focus in the 7x, which translates into far less focussing and much faster acquisition of usable images. That attribute, coupled with superior early dawn and late dusk capabilities, makes the 7x complementary to the 8 x 32SE in my opinion. I had blackout issues with my SE 8 x 32, so I also find the 7x Meopta to offer a far more relaxed and easy view.

I thank you for your input. Would I notice much difference in the magnification? At the moment I am debating between the Meopta 7x or the Meopta 8x. The specs are pretty much the same except the brightness on the 7x is better.

Since I am far-sighted (and wear glasses) I do wonder if less magnification makes a big difference (7x opposed to 8x). Thanks again for talking with me. Paula

pw53 said:
I thank you for your input. Would I notice much difference in the magnification? At the moment I am debating between the Meopta 7x or the Meopta 8x. The specs are pretty much the same except the brightness on the 7x is better.

Since I am far-sighted (and wear glasses) I do wonder if less magnification makes a big difference (7x opposed to 8x). Thanks again for talking with me. Paula

With the caveat that others may feel differently, I find the magnification difference between 7x and 8x to be marginal, unlike the (for me) very noticeable difference netween 8x and 10x. I bought the 7x Meopta instead of the 8x because (i) it was brighter (ii) offered greater depth of field (iii) was easier to hold steady and (iv) was cheaper.

chartwell99 said:
With the caveat that others may feel differently, I find the magnification difference between 7x and 8x to be marginal, unlike the (for me) very noticeable difference netween 8x and 10x. I bought the 7x Meopta instead of the 8x because (i) it was brighter (ii) offered greater depth of field (iii) was easier to hold steady and (iv) was cheaper.

Thank you for having patience with this lay person. I will seriously consider going for a 7x. Some more "soul-searching" and I will probably buy the 7x since I have had my eye on a Meopta for a long time now. Thanks again, and happy birding. Paula

That attribute, coupled with superior early dawn and late dusk capabilities, makes the 7x complementary to the 8 x 32SE in my opinion.

I agree with Tom in this case. It would compliment it quite well. I know of several individuals who believe the 8x32/7x42 to offer the ideal combination of bins for obvious reasons. Personally I believe the 7x magnification (35 or 42 mm) to offer several notable advantages over a similarly spec'ed 8x model. Tom already touched on them. Where I have found them to be truly noticeable is when I am hawkwatching specifically. Scanning large areas of the sky at varying distances the 7x42s and 7x35s I have owned provide a noticeably more comfortable viewing experience. I believe this to be the result of the combination of better depth of field and larger exit pupil (giving the eye more area to move around).

Now having said that it may surprise you that I chose the 8x42 Meostar over the 7x42. Personally I found the increase in depth of field and brightness between these two configurations of this model to be marginal. There was a noticeable difference but it was not enough to offset something else I found that I prefer...a large apparent field of view. The 8x42 and 7x42 sport the same 411 foot true field of view. However the 8x sports a 62.4 degree apparent field of view while the 7x displays a 54.6 degree apparent field of view. This is a noticeable difference in my opinion. The 7x does not feel cramped in any way probably due to the excellent edge of field sharpness coupled with the great depth of field. In truth the 411 foot field of view is typical for a mid to high end 7x42 binocular so it is not as if the Meopta is somehow inferior to other 7x42 models. It is rather that the 8x42 is far superior to almost anything else in terms of field of view and edge of field sharpness within or near its price range. It truly gives you a "woooe, this is a walk-in field of view" type of feeling. It never ceases to please me to look through these bins. They just do not disappoint. That is something that I have not really said about anything but some of the highest quality of bins out there...and then not necessarily all of them.

Just thought I would share my thoughts on the issue.

Tero,

I only have two "primary" bins... the Meopta and the Vortex. I sold the Leica to Angelo (Leica forum) recently. I have my little Nikon Sportstars for when I am not primarily birding or when size is an issue. I also have my pair of 7x35 E series but they have been relegated to feeder watching. I managed to get some water marks on the inside of the right outside ocular lens. It nags a tad at my right eye under certain conditions...otherwise I might take them out more often. I will need to get them cleaned at some point. I do plan on trying the Vortex Furies and Vipers as well as an Olympus model in the near future.

I still cannot get on at work though I am thinking of bribing someone for the password. At home I have unlimited access but with two little guys running around I just don't have the time to go on. Thanks for asking though.

Tero said:
There are a few interesting items in the Fury series. I will comment somewhere.

Gentlemen, I am so thankful to have discovered this forum with you in it. Thanks again and I hope all of you have great birding adventures. Paula

Hi Paula,

You might want to check out the Bushnell Discoverer 7x42. Very nice view and the price is great at $280.

Gentlemen, I am so thankful to have discovered this forum with you in it. Thanks again and I hope all of you have great birding adventures. Paula

I am happy to be able to share my limited experience with you Paula. There are folks on here though that truly dwarf me when it comes to their knowledge of bins. I am happy they are here as well.

Tero,

I look forward to seeing your other comments.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back