• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1.25 adapter for sT 80 (1 Viewer)

Art Thorn

I've just heard of the 1.25 eyepiece adapter for Swaro scopes. Has anyone tried it? I just purchased a second-hand ST 80 and have some truely excellent Televue Naglers (currently on sale). If the adapter idea works, I'll keep the 13mm Nagler, which will give me about 38x, very wide field viewing.

I've had one for some time now. It enables me to use most of my astro eyepieces with the scope. Be careful though, I was disappointed to find that my wide angle eyepiece (22mm Vixen WA Lanthanum) cannot quite get into focus. Also it is not possible to use a Barlow lens as they need to go further into the scope than the prism allows.

Having said that, I use my scope quite alot for astronomy using a 6mm (x88) and 4mm (x115).

Thanks Dave. Interesting about the focus. Is that because the adapter adds extra length? Also, have you noticed any restriction on field width created by the scope itself?

Aatos

Any new experiences with using the 1 1/4" adapter on the Swarovski TS scopes?

I've several nikon wide angle eypeices that use an adapter to 1 1/4". I've tried one on the Pentax scope when it first came out and could not focus on infinity. Most likely because the adapter adds some length.

My assumption is that would be the same for the Swarovski, unless it has more infocus. However, it most lkely is a case of buying the adapter and trying it with the option of returning it.

Thanks

Bob

Bob D said:
Any new experiences with using the 1 1/4" adapter on the Swarovski TS scopes?

I've several nikon wide angle eypeices that use an adapter to 1 1/4". I've tried one on the Pentax scope when it first came out and could not focus on infinity. Most likely because the adapter adds some length.

My assumption is that would be the same for the Swarovski, unless it has more infocus. However, it most lkely is a case of buying the adapter and trying it with the option of returning it.

Thanks

Bob

Bob,

If you first focus the scope at infinity with one of its original eyepieces and then figure out the required length for the 1-1/4" by simply holding the new eyepiece in place along with a ruler or caliper to measure the position where you can see infinity sharp.

Maybe you then can ask someone to measure the length of the adapter before buying it?

Cheers, Jens.

I purchased the Swarovski 1 1/4 in adapter. With the "converter" on my Nikon eyepieces the scope will not come into focus at infinity.

There is enough of a lip on the Nikon eyepieces to use without the "converter" and the scope does come into focus at infinity with no problem. The Swaro adapter holds the eyepieces very securely but the lip on the Nikon eyepieces is only about 3/16" long, therefore, I would not feel comfortable in carrying the scope in the field over my shoulder.

However, I will be able to take advantage of Nikons wide angle 24X, 40X and 60X eyepieces in many circumstances, both birding and astro. Unfortunately Nikon's 15X eyepiece does not have enough of a lip to be used in the Swaro adapter. Note: Power is based on the 60 mm Fieldscope.

The 60X eyepiece is a 7mm. I Looking for a 6 or 5 mm astro eyepiece without sinking money into one of the expensive Nagler or Pentax eyepieces. It would be used when I want a little extra reach for identifying a bird. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back