• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Woodpecker....not quite (1 Viewer)

JenHarrier

We've only just moved house and have at long last aquired a garden that might see some birdy life.

So it was with great joy I heard the tap, tap, tapping of a Woodpecker close by in our neighbour's garden. Peering very cautiously through the hedge I saw my 'woody' was in fact a Great Tit still tap, tapping on an ancient nest box. He continued to do this for some time before flying away. Is this unusual behaviour as I've never heard of it before. Fascinating to watch and hear - but I did feel stupid!

Hi Jen

Not really familiar with this bird but perhaps it was signalling/sending out a mating call?

Hi Jen,

As KC says, it is all to do with breeding; possibly testing to see if it's 'taken' for one thing. They will also try to widen the hole (though not always successfully) if it "looks as if it could just "fit us in perhaps!" Keep a look out though as it could well be back again, it's possibly testing out a few first. Please don't feel stupid in thinking it was a Woodpecker though as Birds can deceive us all so very easily at times, so you're not alone by any means.

Incidentally, a warm welcome to the boards! So you're living not far Ringwood, where my hubby and I were born and bred. You're in a good area to entice quite a wide variety of Birds to your garden, so good luck in doing so and telling us all about them. Enjoy the many wonders of the New Forest....and there are many, though you may already know that any way.

All the best, Jen.

Sue.

Tapping greattits are in fact quite common. I have seen this behaviour many times. Usually I have seen them tapping just on branches but i have observed it on nest boxes too. Exactly why they do it I do not know as I have never seen them produce grubs from the wood nor appear to be stashing any nuts or seeds, but be rest assured you have no need to feel stupid ;)

Hi,
I went into my local woods yesterday and I got really confused because a nuthatch, a great tit and a treecreeper were all drumming on trees, I think it's just a warning call to other birds saying 'get out of here'.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back