• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zimbabwe's Wildlife (1 Viewer)

safariranger

Hi all

Living in South Africa and having travelled to Zimbabwe on several occassions, it is becoming really disturbing to see how the country is being ruined.

All the wildlife areas are being plundered by so called 'war veterans' and they are killing everything in site.

I have over the past couple of years seen some horrific pictures of animals being tortured, and again reading the local paper today, there is another incident of a baby elephant, which has a wire snare around the bottom of its leg. It is still way too young to fend for itself and unfortunately has been left behind by the rest of the elephant herd. It now spends its final days spraying dust over the large open wound, and knowing how social these animals are it is probably crying constantly for other herd members.

When will something be done? I wish more action could be taken to prevent this from happening.

Just a thought and an intention to let more people know what's going on in Zimbabwe.

Sad but true

Robert:-C

We've heard a lot on TV over here about "the situation" in Zimbabwe... like to think the good ol' BBC is telling us the truth!

Trouble is, and sad to say, it's old news now. I don't think it's been mentioned much since Grant Flower and Henry Alonga (hope I've got the names right) made their stand in the Cricket World Cup.

Occasionally we'll hear about the rounding up of another opposition politician, but I the media has other (newer) fish to fry.

Sad to hear (but willing to hear) of the continuing problems.

The BBC has to get all its Zimbabwe stories second hand since Mugabe banned them from reporting in the country.

Mugabe now poses a proportionately greater threat to the future prosperity of his country and to the happiness of most of its people than just about any other national leader, but sadly there are no oil reserves....

Spud

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back