• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon IS 8x, 10x, 12x owners-Advice needed (1 Viewer)

AnotherNightOwl

Registered Guest
Do you use the ocular covers that came with the binoculars?

Do you use some thing else? ie rainguard?

Do you not bother with anything?

Please could you elaborate on your answer/s, giving the reasons why, or why not.

I started another thread and then realised that it would be/might be better to get the opinions of people that have these.

I have just bought the Canon 10x30 IS... AND LOVE THEM.

I use a Fujinon (made for their FMTR-SX line) single-piece eyepiece rainguard with 10x42 and 15x50 Canons. The latter did not come with a rainguard, and the former has a guard which is too tight-fitting for my tastes, since I decidedly prefer a guard that can be quickly flipped on or off with one hand. The Fujinon guard is large enough to fit over the inordinately huge eyecups of the Canons. Since I sometimes find myself in rain or snow while birding, a rainguard is essential for me.

Kimmo

kabsetz said:
I use a Fujinon (made for their FMTR-SX line) single-piece eyepiece rainguard with 10x42 and 15x50 Canons. The latter did not come with a rainguard, and the former has a guard which is too tight-fitting for my tastes, since I decidedly prefer a guard that can be quickly flipped on or off with one hand. The Fujinon guard is large enough to fit over the inordinately huge eyecups of the Canons. Since I sometimes find myself in rain or snow while birding, a rainguard is essential for me.

Kimmo

Thank you, Kimmo.

The 15x50 IS Canons that you mention... did they come with 2 little plastic eyepiece covers?

Kimmo,
From reading a lot on this site, i know that you and your opinions are very well respected. If you have the time could you please give me your opinion on my next question.

Do you think it would be a waste of time for me to get a rain guard for my bioculars, or a good idea?

My reasons for thinking about getting them were to protect the eyepiece covers from all sort of unwanted bits falling in and collecting there. John on another thread had a seagull poo on him and his bins, and it was only by having the cover on his binoculars that saved his eyepieces from a horrible mess.
The other reason was because i thought it would be quicker to flip on or off, also i would not lose it. The 2 covers that came with the binoculars would take longer to put on and take off and i would end up losing one or both at some time.

On your Canon 10x30 IS do you use a rain guard?

I am sorry if this is a bit long winded, but it is important to me.

Thank you again, Deano

Last edited:
Deano,

I don't have the 10x30 Canon, but the 10x42. The 15x50 came with those two little cup-covers, which I may have lost since I don't know where they are. In any case, such cappies are good only for shipping and packaging. I don't know of anyone who uses them in the field.

A proper, one-piece eyepiece rainguard that permanently attaches to the binocular carrying strap is pretty much essential. They much reduce the need to clean the eyepieces, and it is careless and excessive cleaning which is most damaging to lens surfaces. Also, when birding it is nice when you lift your binoculars to your eyes to view an interesting bird that you don't straightaway notice that you cannot see well because there is something unwanted on the eyepieces. The 10x42 IS L comes with a rather well-designed one-piece rainguard, but it is a bit tight-fitting (preferred by some users but not by me) which is why I use the Fujinon rainguard instead.

When buying an aftermarket rainguard, you need to have the intended binocular with you since the fit between the eyecups and the rainguard cannot properly be determined in any other way than by trying them on.

Kimmo

kabsetz said:
Deano,

I don't have the 10x30 Canon, but the 10x42. The 15x50 came with those two little cup-covers, which I may have lost since I don't know where they are. In any case, such cappies are good only for shipping and packaging. I don't know of anyone who uses them in the field.

A proper, one-piece eyepiece rainguard that permanently attaches to the binocular carrying strap is pretty much essential. They much reduce the need to clean the eyepieces, and it is careless and excessive cleaning which is most damaging to lens surfaces. Also, when birding it is nice when you lift your binoculars to your eyes to view an interesting bird that you don't straightaway notice that you cannot see well because there is something unwanted on the eyepieces. The 10x42 IS L comes with a rather well-designed one-piece rainguard, but it is a bit tight-fitting (preferred by some users but not by me) which is why I use the Fujinon rainguard instead.

When buying an aftermarket rainguard, you need to have the intended binocular with you since the fit between the eyecups and the rainguard cannot properly be determined in any other way than by trying them on.

Kimmo

Hi Kimmo.

Thank you once again for taking the time to reply, it is vey much appreciated.

I will definitely take your advice on getting a rainguard.

The 10x42 IS L ... I envy you. Maybe one day, i too will be lucky enough.

Regards, Deano

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back