• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 7x17 FC Flat Ultra-Compact Roof Prism Binoculars (1 Viewer)

aLkeR

I am now using Canon 7x17 FC Flat Ultra-Compact Roof Prism Binoculars. You may have a look here

opticsplanet_1938_5143182

Recently, I found that there are some problems with my binoculars. And I wanted to dismantle it for repairs. However, I don't know how to "dismantle" it...? Who can teach me?

Besides, I would like to clean the lenses inside. How can I do this?

Many Thanks!

Forget it! Never let it enter your mind again. That is the road to ruination! Call Canon and find out where to send them for repair.

Bob

ceasar said:
Forget it! Never let it enter your mind again. That is the road to ruination! Call Canon and find out where to send them for repair.

Bob

Everyone will tell you the same thing. Send them in for repair.

How much will it cost?

If Canon do it...you will have to ask them.
If you do it...THE PRICE OF NEW PAIR.

Take the Advice that Bob has given. It's the BEST advice you will get.

Last edited:
Oh...I see...

but if I just want to clean the lenses, how can I do this?

because I find that there is dust trapped inside......

aLkeR said:
Oh...I see...

because I find that there is dust trapped inside......[/QUOTE

Seriously: You really can't open them and clean the optics without ruining them.

How old are the binoculars? Are you sure it is dust on the inside of the objective lens? They are pretty well sealed. Maybe it is a fungus. This can come about from storing binoculars in a humid environment. If that is the case, they probably aren't worth fixing. Fungus looks like very thin cobwebby lines.

If it doesn't really affect your view you are better off letting them alone.

Hope this helps some.

Welcome to Bird Forum.

Bob

ceasar said:
aLkeR said:
Oh...I see...

because I find that there is dust trapped inside......[/QUOTE

Seriously: You really can't open them and clean the optics without ruining them.

How old are the binoculars? Are you sure it is dust on the inside of the objective lens? They are pretty well sealed. Maybe it is a fungus. This can come about from storing binoculars in a humid environment. If that is the case, they probably aren't worth fixing. Fungus looks like very thin cobwebby lines.

If it doesn't really affect your view you are better off letting them alone.

Hope this helps some.

Welcome to Bird Forum.

Bob

well..... I've used it for around 3 years....I always use it (once a day). So, it is probably to get deteroiation quickly. The dust inside makes the image blur.... And I don't want to buy a new one (no money!).....><""

aLkeR said:
well..... I've used it for around 3 years....I always use it (once a day). So, it is probably to get deteroiation quickly. The dust inside makes the image blur.... And I don't want to buy a new one (no money!).....><""

Using a binocular won't cause it to deteriorate unless it undergoes rough treatment while in use or in transportation. Dropping binoculars probably causes more damage to them than anything else, but shaking and vibration from being constantly in a motor vehicle can damage them also.

Good, durable binoculars can be purchased for under $100.00 (US funds) these days. Nikon, Leupold and Bushnell make a variety of them that you can chose from. If you want a small, compact one that is better than the one you have now, look at the Nikon 8 x 25 Travelite.

Bob

ceasar said:
Using a binocular won't cause it to deteriorate unless it undergoes rough treatment while in use or in transportation. Dropping binoculars probably causes more damage to them than anything else, but shaking and vibration from being constantly in a motor vehicle can damage them also.

Good, durable binoculars can be purchased for under $100.00 (US funds) these days. Nikon, Leupold and Bushnell make a variety of them that you can chose from. If you want a small, compact one that is better than the one you have now, look at the Nikon 8 x 25 Travelite.

Bob

I have had 2 of these 7X17 binocs. I really like them but they are just not durable enough. The problem is that they are so small you can carry them in your pocket where they become susceptible to damage. And I find the focus mechanisms wear out after a few years. The last one finally fell apart in my hands. Of course you can generally get them for less than 100 USD, and they are extremely small, but I still wish they were more durable. I have gone back to more conventional ones, my old Leica Trinovid 10X25s which are still working after some 20 years.

kellmark said:
I have had 2 of these 7X17 binocs. I really like them but they are just not durable enough. The problem is that they are so small you can carry them in your pocket where they become susceptible to damage. And I find the focus mechanisms wear out after a few years. The last one finally fell apart in my hands. Of course you can generally get them for less than 100 USD, and they are extremely small, but I still wish they were more durable. I have gone back to more conventional ones, my old Leica Trinovid 10X25s which are still working after some 20 years.

2 of these 7X17 binocs...? Cannon or Nikon?

aLkeR said:

Hi AlkeR,

I found the bins you use/like here... just scroll down the page a little. http://www.microglobe.co.uk/catalog...ulars&osCsid=509e0b01637215a43eb4f12db969028e

I know you don't want to buy a new one as you have no money at the moment. We all get in that situation at times, but perhaps you could ask for them as a present for your birthday or maybe father's day, as that will be in June... assuming you have children.

As you live in London, maybe you could pop into Microglobe and ask them to look at your binoculars, and then advise you as to what they think you should do.

Good luck, and i hope every thing turns out fine for you. :t:

Regards, Deano

AnotherNightOwl said:
Hi AlkeR,

I found the bins you use/like here... just scroll down the page a little. http://www.microglobe.co.uk/catalog...ulars&osCsid=509e0b01637215a43eb4f12db969028e

I know you don't want to buy a new one as you have no money at the moment. We all get in that situation at times, but perhaps you could ask for them as a present for your birthday or maybe father's day, as that will be in June... assuming you have children.

As you live in London, maybe you could pop into Microglobe and ask them to look at your binoculars, and then advise you as to what they think you should do.

Good luck, and i hope every thing turns out fine for you. :t:

Regards, Deano

hello~~ I finally succeeded in dismantling the binoculars. Thanks everybody!!!! Now, I am going to take some experiments on the lenses inside it---- checking focal length.....However, I found it is a little bit difficult to check the focal length~!haha~!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back