• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbird Behaviour (1 Viewer)

Mabel

Dance the ghost with me
Hi folks
I have been observing this within the last two or three weeks. I have three Blackbirds in the garden - two males and a female. With spring in the air, they are going mad as expected, but the female is really a character!
She is quite big, and makes an awful mess in the garden. She tosses up leaves like nobody's business. She flies in quickly, often barging in when the males are about. She always has her tail cocked. Yesterday, it was practically arched over her back. The males even back off at times!
My question is, is she "presenting" as part of breeding behaviour? She seems awfully aggressive. Any thoughts, or do I just have a slutty Blackbird? :D

Cheers

Mabel said:
Hi folks
I have been observing this within the last two or three weeks. I have three Blackbirds in the garden - two males and a female. With spring in the air, they are going mad as expected, but the female is really a character!
She is quite big, and makes an awful mess in the garden. She tosses up leaves like nobody's business. She flies in quickly, often barging in when the males are about. She always has her tail cocked. Yesterday, it was practically arched over her back. The males even back off at times!
My question is, is she "presenting" as part of breeding behaviour? She seems awfully aggressive. Any thoughts, or do I just have a slutty Blackbird? :D

Cheers

I wouldn't presume to comment on the morals of your blackbird personally, but I did enjoy your post!

Perhaps it's all part of the decline in public standards. Maybe we need to do more to educate young birds in what constitutes proper behaviour? Let's get the Daily Mail onto it! ;)

K.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back