• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yet another Dragonfly I.D. please!. (1 Viewer)

alan_rymer

United Kingdom
I have attached a digiscoped photo taken this morning at Dinton Pastures, Berkshire, England, of a pair of Dragonflies who were flying around in the same positions when I first saw then. Eventually they landed about 15 feet away. They were about 2 inches long. I had expected them to be identical like the Damselflies I commonly see, but they're not.

Can ayone tell me what they are please?.

P.S. I know, I know, they're dragonflies!.

Attachments

• 0018_filtered.jpg
    0018_filtered.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 239
From U.S. Dragonflies, I can tell you a little.. not species. The Order of insect is Odonata; Family is Aeshnadae; the Genus is Aeshna, over here called Mosaic Darners or Blue Darners.. among the largest Dragonflies. These are very similar to our own Sedge Darners (Aeshna juncea) with the extra-wide stripes on the side of thorax. They frequent sedges and rushes at lake or pond edges. Obviously the two are mating in what's called, "wheel formation", sometimes called "in tandem." The males (blue one) don't land often, so this mating photo is a great opportunity to get both genders. Good work and thanks for putting it up.

Alan,

The yellow-green 'wine glass' shape at the base of the thorax is always a good pointer, you can just about see it on the male in this shot.

Stephen.

I agree that it's Aeshna........maybe Aeshna constricta(lande-tipped darner. Really great picture. Thanks for posting it.

I agree with Kiki and Stephen. They are Migrant Hawkers. The time is right, the male has what I call a' T' on the thorax which Stephen calls a wine glass and the antehumeral stripe is thin.

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back