• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eyepiece For ES80 ED (1 Viewer)

RogW

Hi all,

I have a optichron ES80 ED scope with 40809 32x eyepiece, which is excelent for general birding, however i still find times that i am wanting greater magnification, does anybody have experience of this scope using either the 40858 44x (though i am not sure there is enough gained from such a small increase in magnification) or 40860 80x.

Rog

pduxon said:
i'd get the hdf zoom if was me.

i tried the SDL zoom when i was looking originall and found the field of view when zoomed out to be poor only getting worse when zooming in

Rog

I also have the 40809 for the ES80, which is excellent. For the occasions when I wanted a bit more power I added the 40859 which gives 50x. The image through this is also very good. I don't tend to use the 50x too much though because it's not the quickest job to change eyepieces. If they had a bayonet fitting rather than a rather fiddly screw-thread I'd use it a bit more. I suppose this is why people like a zoom! I'm happy with the excellent view with the 32x though and don't often feel the need for a higher power.

level seven said:
I also have the 40809 for the ES80, which is excellent. For the occasions when I wanted a bit more power I added the 40859 which gives 50x. The image through this is also very good. I don't tend to use the 50x too much though because it's not the quickest job to change eyepieces. If they had a bayonet fitting rather than a rather fiddly screw-thread I'd use it a bit more. I suppose this is why people like a zoom! I'm happy with the excellent view with the 32x though and don't often feel the need for a higher power.

I had completely missed the 40859, it looks promising, do you find the image noticably darker than the 40809? it looks like it is a little smaller than the 40809 which would make carrying easier i supose.

Rog

RogW said:
I had completely missed the 40859, it looks promising, do you find the image noticably darker than the 40809? it looks like it is a little smaller than the 40809 which would make carrying easier i supose.

Rog
No, it gives a nice bright image under most conditions. The view's not as "walk in" as the 40809, but you'd expect that with the higher mag and smaller field of view.

Just found this on optichrons w/s also tele adapter , does anyone have any experience? It does look very convienient, i.e. just push fit over existing eyepiece rather than messing about screwing off/ on in field.

Rog

RogW said:
Just found this on optichrons w/s also tele adapter , does anyone have any experience? It does look very convienient, i.e. just push fit over existing eyepiece rather than messing about screwing off/ on in field.

Rog

I bought one and exchanged it for the HDF zoom. The adapter almost over magnifies things, I have a 20WW lens on a 65mm scope, so mag went up to x50 and it was hopeless! difficult to locate your target by the time you've fiddled with the adapter and also FOv is small. The zoom however is excellent. It does loose detail at greatest mag, but then I only have a small scope. I end up using it at 16 for scanning and normally 32 for detail. I find it difficult to fault my lightwieght setup now i have the zoom. Perhaps in "bad" light it might fail, but i try to avoid bad weather anyway!
If you are set on a fixed lens then look at the HDF WW range, it made a marked difference to my imagic scope, compared to the basic one it came with, that I paid the difference.

Last edited:
RogW said:

Rog

Although this adapter does fit on the Opticron scope eyepieces I think that it is designed to be used more with binoculars. As it is a push-fit design it is a rapid deploy option for someone who is only carrying binoculars and not a scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back