• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: Loma La Aurora (1 Viewer)

sclateria

Hi all,

Does anyone have specific information regarding this site above Bogota to the east? A birdlist and specifics regarding access to the site would be ideal, but just about anything would be helpful.

thanks

Brad

Hi Brad, this won't be much help, but I went there last year with a few other people including a Bogota birder. It was a bit awkward to get to, and we didn't have time to walk up to any decent habitat. Are you after any particular species? If you're just looking for somewhere to bird whilst in Bog for a day or two, there are easier and maybe safer options.

We did bird the area a little, but we'd missed the best part of the morning birding elsewhere. I think a pair of Black-backed Grosbeaks were the main things we saw.

You've probably seen this report:

http://maybank.tripod.com/SouthAmerica/Colombia-06-99.htm

probably worth bearing in mind that was in 99 and he was saying the habitat was almost entirely destroyed by human settlement back then. Maybe the (deforested) bit I visited last year was where they had some of those good birds.

Edit: I think most taxi drivers would know where the "suburb" of Loma L'Aurora is.

Last edited:
Hi Robert,

Thanks for your response. I expect I'll be visiting one or two of the wetland sites for the rail and wren if that's what you have in mind in terms of other spots. I birded a day at Chicaque in 2005 and it was quite nice. I'm looking for a decent spot to bird some temperate forest near to the city for a day or so.

Blue-throated Startfrontlet, Silvery-throated Spinetail, Rufous-browed Conebill come to mind as target species.

Any ideas?

Many thanks. I may have said it before, but thanks for sharing so many excellent photographs from Colombia in your galleries.

cheers

Brad

Last edited:
You could try the track leading up to the Virgen de Guadaloupe (best avoided Sundays), I've seen the Conebill there and a friend has seen the Spinetail. I've also had Glowing and Coppery-bellied Puffleg, as well as other bits and bobs like Plushcap and Agile Tit-Tyrant. I've also seen the Conebill at Monserrate

Thanks for the comments on the photos.

regards,
Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back