• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hatfield Forest (1 Viewer)

pduxon

Quacked up Member
Hatfield Forest

When I first took to birding it was one of two regular haunts and is one I have sadly neglected this year as my last visit proved. I should stress at this point however, that anyone wanting lots of birds should stop reading now. Hatfield is a good place for the general naturist and a good local patch BUT if you want birds, birds and yet more birds then I’d look elsewhere.

Right having got that out of the way what is Hatfield Forest? Hatfield Forest is a SSI and NNR. It was originally a royal hunting forest(although remains of an Iron Age settlement exist and can still be seen). In the 18th century the Houblon family set about making it more picturesque and employed Capability Brown. It has been owned and managed since 1924 by the National Trust. There are 1,049 acres, comprising woodland, grassland with trees, a lake and marshland. The woodland is managed by Coppicing and there are many pollard trees. I believe that in recent years the Trust has returned to traditional management techniques.

The lake is used by local Fisherman(tench, roach & pike). Part of the lake and the area around it is jointly managed by Essex Wildlife Trust and the National Trust to ensure it remains as marshland. You can visit it if you get a permit from Essex Wildlife Trust. Apparently there are Snipe and Water Rail.

The lake is a bit disappointing, lots of Canada Geese, Mallards (very friendly but aren’t they always when there is food around!), if I see a Great Crested Grebe it would be a little unusual. The woods provide lots of common birds and is good a place to see Green Woodpecker as I’ve found. A ramble round will see provide lots of tits, finches (including Marsh), Robins and corvids. The summer months usually will have the common woodland warblers like Blackcap and Whitethroat. My last visit saw me ‘bump’ into a rather surprised Little Owl.

Information for Visitors
The trust opens the car park gates at 10:00am but you can park at the main entrance much earlier than that and walk through. In summer holidays and especially weekends the forest can be busy so if you want to visit the lake area get there early. That said, if you walk into the outer coppices, you will be free of the “footballers” and most of the dogwalkers. Weekdays outside of school holidays are generally fairly quiet.

There is a café providing refreshments (10am until about 4am) and the main gates are locked at 8pm. Although you can walk at your leisure the trust has a nature trail and there is a little booklet of what you might see (produced in association with Essex Wildlife Trust. The trust does a number of nature walks.

It is easy to find. It is on the A120 just east from Junction 8 of the M11. There is a carparking charge for non National Trust members.

In future I intend to get up early on a Saturday morning have a walk around before heading for Rye Meads which opens at 10.

Ok what you might see

Trees - White Poplar, Oak, Hornbeam, Scots Pine, Corsican Pine, Cedar, Hawthorn, Common Larch, Sweet Chestnut, Ash, Silver Birch, Horse Chestnut

Flowers/Plants – Mistletoe, WhiteBryony, Tormentil, Early Hair-grass, Harebill and Mouse-ear Hawkweed, Houndstongue, Marsh Thistle, Watercress, Brooklime, Water Parsnip, Creeping Jenny, Water Figwort, Wild Clematis, Hedge Bedstraw, Valerian, Eyebright, Common Gromwell, Primroses, Violets, Centaury, Forget-me-not & some orchids.

Insects – Yellow Meadow Ant(the Woodpeckers love ‘em), Meadow Brown, Common Blue

Birds – Robin, Wren, Dunnock, Goldcrest, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Whitetrhoat, Blackcap, Blue Tit, Coal Tit, Great Tit, Marsh Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Willow Tit (I'm told), Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Bullfinch, Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting, Starling, Magpie, Jay, Carrion Crow, Rook, Jackdaw, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Fieldfare, Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Wood Pigeon, Little Owl, Great Crested Grebe, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Pochard (winter), Gadwall, Goosander (occasional winter), Canada Goose, Greylag, Mute Swan, Black Headed Gull, Common Tern, Cormorant, Coot, Moorhen, Grey Heron, Pheasant, Swallow, House Martin.

Mammals - Grey Squirrel, Rabbit, Fox, Fallow Deer & muntjac

I’ve taken this from the National Trust leaflets, since my knowledge of plants etc is minimal. The birds I can vouch for!

Last edited:
I've spent many happy hours in Hatfield Forest. I've always found it great for Jay (quite rare in my neck of the woods), Green Woodpecker and Fallow Deer.

Hatfield Forest

When I first took to birding it was one of two regular haunts and is one I have sadly neglected this year as my last visit proved. I should stress at this point however, that anyone wanting lots of birds should stop reading now. Hatfield is a good place for the general naturist and a good local patch BUT if you want birds, birds and yet more birds then I’d look elsewhere.

Right having got that out of the way what is Hatfield Forest? Hatfield Forest is a SSI and NNR. It was originally a royal hunting forest(although remains of an Iron Age settlement exist and can still be seen). In the 18th century the Houblon family set about making it more picturesque and employed Capability Brown. It has been owned and managed since 1924 by the National Trust. There are 1,049 acres, comprising woodland, grassland with trees, a lake and marshland. The woodland is managed by Coppicing and there are many pollard trees. I believe that in recent years the Trust has returned to traditional management techniques.

The lake is used by local Fisherman(tench, roach & pike). Part of the lake and the area around it is jointly managed by Essex Wildlife Trust and the National Trust to ensure it remains as marshland. You can visit it if you get a permit from Essex Wildlife Trust. Apparently there are Snipe and Water Rail.

The lake is a bit disappointing, lots of Canada Geese, Mallards (very friendly but aren’t they always when there is food around!), if I see a Great Crested Grebe it would be a little unusual. The woods provide lots of common birds and is good a place to see Green Woodpecker as I’ve found. A ramble round will see provide lots of tits, finches (including Marsh), Robins and corvids. The summer months usually will have the common woodland warblers like Blackcap and Whitethroat. My last visit saw me ‘bump’ into a rather surprised Little Owl.

Information for Visitors
The trust opens the car park gates at 10:00am but you can park at the main entrance much earlier than that and walk through. In summer holidays and especially weekends the forest can be busy so if you want to visit the lake area get there early. That said, if you walk into the outer coppices, you will be free of the “footballers” and most of the dogwalkers. Weekdays outside of school holidays are generally fairly quiet.

There is a café providing refreshments (10am until about 4am) and the main gates are locked at 8pm. Although you can walk at your leisure the trust has a nature trail and there is a little booklet of what you might see (produced in association with Essex Wildlife Trust. The trust does a number of nature walks.

It is easy to find. It is on the A120 just east from Junction 8 of the M11. There is a carparking charge for non National Trust members.

In future I intend to get up early on a Saturday morning have a walk around before heading for Rye Meads which opens at 10.

Ok what you might see

Trees - White Poplar, Oak, Hornbeam, Scots Pine, Corsican Pine, Cedar, Hawthorn, Common Larch, Sweet Chestnut, Ash, Silver Birch, Horse Chestnut

Flowers/Plants – Mistletoe, WhiteBryony, Tormentil, Early Hair-grass, Harebill and Mouse-ear Hawkweed, Houndstongue, Marsh Thistle, Watercress, Brooklime, Water Parsnip, Creeping Jenny, Water Figwort, Wild Clematis, Hedge Bedstraw, Valerian, Eyebright, Common Gromwell, Primroses, Violets, Centaury, Forget-me-not & some orchids.

Insects – Yellow Meadow Ant(the Woodpeckers love ‘em), Meadow Brown, Common Blue

Birds – Robin, Wren, Dunnock, Goldcrest, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Whitetrhoat, Blackcap, Blue Tit, Coal Tit, Great Tit, Marsh Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Willow Tit (I'm told), Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Bullfinch, Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting, Starling, Magpie, Jay, Carrion Crow, Rook, Jackdaw, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Fieldfare, Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Wood Pigeon, Little Owl, Great Crested Grebe, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Pochard (winter), Gadwall, Goosander (occasional winter), Canada Goose, Greylag, Mute Swan, Black Headed Gull, Common Tern, Cormorant, Coot, Moorhen, Grey Heron, Pheasant, Swallow, House Martin.

Mammals - Grey Squirrel, Rabbit, Fox, Fallow Deer & muntjac

I’ve taken this from the National Trust leaflets, since my knowledge of plants etc is minimal. The birds I can vouch for!

Pete, there was a thing on the London News last week about the impact on Hatfield Forest if the expansion of Stanstead goes ahead, what's the news on that?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back