• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski DCA Quality (1 Viewer)

Merlins

Today I purchased a Swarovski DCA to fit my 20-60x eyepiece, The inner adapter which fits over the eyepiece fits by turning the outer screw and this secures a rounded inner clamp onto the eyepiece (Works well without marking the eyepiece). The outer adapter (holds camera lens) which fits onto the inner adapter fits by turning the screw which has a nasty brass end which grinds onto the inner adapter, marking it. I'm sure this will make a right mess of the adapter after a little use. Are all swarovski DCA's this way?

Merlins said:
Today I purchased a Swarovski DCA to fit my 20-60x eyepiece, The inner adapter which fits over the eyepiece fits by turning the outer screw and this secures a rounded inner clamp onto the eyepiece (Works well without marking the eyepiece). The outer adapter (holds camera lens) which fits onto the inner adapter fits by turning the screw which has a nasty brass end which grinds onto the inner adapter, marking it. I'm sure this will make a right mess of the adapter after a little use. Are all swarovski DCA's this way?
It would seem so, as the DCA that I bought is exactly as you describe. It does seem to be a flawed design, and I would have expected better from Swarovski. Having said that, the adapter does work very well, and I find it quick to use, which is important for digiscoping.

Just for now I have stuck a piece of electricians tape to the brass end, seems to work, stops the brass marking the surface. I wonder why swarovski did not make the outer fitting the same as the one that fits over the eyepiece? That would surely have made it much better.

I've been using the DCA for about three years now and it's seen a lot of use. I leave it on the scope almost permanently. There's no problem with the fitting of the outer sleeve over the inner one and no mess. The inner sleeve is hardly marked. The knurled nut on the outer sleeve just needs tightening enough to grip the inner one - it doesn't need to be really tight.

The nut on the inner sleeve is the one I take issue with. You have to tighten it enough so that you can turn the inner sleeve to adjust eyepeice magnification but if you overtighten it the eyepeice is warped and you can't adjust zoom. If you don't tighten it enough it wobbles and slips around the eyepiece defeating it's purpose.

I like the principle of the DCA but maybe it's attachment to the scope eyepiece could have been better thought out. A three point attachment to the eyepiece would have spread the load better.

Hello Ian,
The DCA that I have holds the eyepiece wery well even when slightly tightened, no problem but the first day I tightened the outer screw slightly it marked the inner piece. I think the DCA's have changed a little since they were introduced, I think there was a fixed and a zoom but now there's just one which has a plastic curved plate that tightens onto the eyepiece. Does your DCA have the plastic curved plate in it?

I have attached inner and outer photo's. Are all DCA's this way, one with a brass screw?

Attachments

• Picture 795.jpg
    Picture 795.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 200
  • Picture 796.jpg
    Picture 796.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 208
Merlins said:
Hello Ian,
The DCA that I have holds the eyepiece wery well even when slightly tightened, no problem but the first day I tightened the outer screw slightly it marked the inner piece. I think the DCA's have changed a little since they were introduced, I think there was a fixed and a zoom but now there's just one which has a plastic curved plate that tightens onto the eyepiece. Does your DCA have the plastic curved plate in it?
Mines just the same as yours. I think they must have used brass for the other screw as it's a soft metal. There is a mark on the inner sleeve from the brass screw but the paint isn't scratched at all.

It's durable and works well enough.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back