• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grasshopper or Cricket? (1 Viewer)

Fuchsia

Bug Babe
Hello all,
Please could you tell me what this is. It was quite big (about 2c the length of the usual crickets here) and had wings that appeared every time I tried to get a decent photo - I failed as you can see!
Many thanks
Jen

Hi Jen,
I would say that this is a species of grasshopper as the antennae are quite short. Crickets generally have antennae which are at least body length and often somewhere in the region of one and a half body lengths. Wouldn't like to pin it down to a species although I suspect someone can.

Eddie

If you enlarge the pic, you see that the antennae are not short but long, actually.they only are very thin and not that well to see at that pic.
It is a bush cricket, but from the pic I am not sure, which. I would go for either Phaneroptera falcata, some other Phaneroptera spec. or perhaps more likely Ruspolia nitidula (large conehead). Sorry, but for the first one, I do only have the german name (Grosse Sichelschrecke)

Joern

Hello and thanks Joern,
The English name is Sickle-bearing Bush-cricket apparently! I've had a look around the net and I can't tell which from my bad pics either but I'm really happy to know it was a Bush Cricket.

Best wishes
Jen

I cannot see how long the antennae are, 'cos the photo is cropped. The nearest I've seen is oak bush-cricket but that is more robust. I'll attach a photo

Attachments

• oakbushcricket2.jpg
    oakbushcricket2.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 224
Hi Surreybirder,

oak bush cricket shouldd be winged in both sexes, and it does look more stretched than this one. By the ovipositor you can see that the insect on your photo is an adult female, but wingless. I would go for a Leptophyes species, perhaps L. punctatissima, the Speckled Bush Cricket.

Joern

Thanks, Joern. A friend of mine identified it so I'll pass on your comments.
(Could the lack of wings mean that it's not a full adult?)

Not with a fully developed ovipositor as in this photo, I am afraid. This ovipositor (this sable-like thing at the insects end) clearly sais it is an adult female.

Joern

Hi Joern/Surreybirder,
my hand's up as the guilty party;-) I overlooked the obvious regarding shape of ovipositor. I just thought it was a late nymph stage of Oak Bush-cricket. But, of course, you are correct Joern it is an adult female Speckled Bush-cricket
Funnily enough one appeared outside my study window last night [attracted to the light?]. I am looking at it now and will attempt a pic and upload it if successful.
BTW the illustration in my orthoptera guide shows the dorsal area quite dark rather than green with a narrow brownish line!
Cheers
Steve.

Speckled Bush-cricket

Light levels not very good and no flash on my digicamcorder! but image should be recognisable - I hope.
Steve.

Attachments

• speckled bush-cricket.jpg
    speckled bush-cricket.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 225
Hi Ken,

Looks like an unusually colored female of Dark Bush Cricket (Pholidoptera griseoaptera) to me, but I check with my literature to be sure.
Here they are less reddish brown in most cases, but colour can vary greatly in this species.

Joern

Hi Ken,

Well, after comparison of photos and literature with your pic, Dark Bush Cricket really seems to be the best fit...allthough I am not 100% sure.Lets say 99%.
Nice pic though.

Joern

Thanks, Joern. Fancy going all the way to Switzerland and the only species I photograph is one that occurs in my garden at home!
Sorry to be so long replying. Moved house on 30.9
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back