• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which of these two....... (1 Viewer)

Coverts said:
would you choose? / should I choose?
Pentax 10x25 UCF X II
Brunton 10x32 Lite-Tech

I realize they are both low(er) quality but I am looking for something inexpensive to use in my house for close-up, quick viewing. I like to keep a pair handy near each of the windows with feeders in view.|:S|

TIA
hi tia
i keep a small pair of pentax 8by21 by my kitchin window for quick vewing
which i find are ideal and the image is excellent

Tero said:
Brunton Echo were OK, even at 10x, but best at 8x. Though not phase coated I was impressed with the 8x32. These I have no clue.

The 8x25 Echo is in your price range
http://www.opticsplanet.net/brunton-echo-compact-8x25-waterproof-binoculars.html

I thought about the Echo but I really wanted to get that extra 4 feet of close-up range. That is the main reason I want another pair. I do like the compact size of the Echo though.

Ian Hamiltan said:
hi tia
i keep a small pair of pentax 8by21 by my kitchin window for quick vewing
which i find are ideal and the image is excellent
Thanks Ian. Both you and Tero seem to suggest the 8 power magnification. Do you know if 8power is better than 10power for close-up viewing? :idontknow:
......and actually my name is Mike ;) TIA = Thanks In Advance

Coverts said:
I thought about the Echo but I really wanted to get that extra 4 feet of close-up range. That is the main reason I want another pair. I do like the compact size of the Echo though.

Thanks Ian. Both you and Tero seem to suggest the 8 power magnification. Do you know if 8power is better than 10power for close-up viewing? :idontknow:
......and actually my name is Mike ;) TIA = Thanks In Advance
hi tia
i prefer to use 8 power even when im out birding i find the image is
better and theyre also easier to hold.

I am pretty much coming from 10x use, and still use it a lot. However, I have gone entire days with 8x, and for close up, if you happen to be looking for butterflies for example, the wider field at 8x helps. There is a Pentax Papilio 8.5x and 6.5x that are sepecially built for this. But I like 8x32.

I use my 10x for ducks, shore birds, sparrows in winter.

I already have a pair of cheap 8x32s and 8x42s that I like just fine. I also have a REALLY cheap pair of 10x25s but none have a good close focus range. If I could find similar priced versions of these bins (I think I can), which would you get? / should I get? I geuess it makes little difference at this level but either one would, sadly, still be an upgrade for me. As it turns out, I will probably use them mostly in the bathroom and the bedroom, so maybe the waterproof/ fogproof ones would be better:-O :-O:-O
Thanks for the replies.

tia

An 8x bin from same range as 10x does sometimes allow closer focus. The specs don't always give the full picture about the effects of depth of field and eye accommodation. The 8x should generally be a bit quicker to use (less need to focus), have easier eye alignment and less shake. But maybe less of an issue if you can have a bin on each window sill already set up.
The Brunton looks the better bet for a steamy bathroom; unless you drop it on your toe...

"If you have Tias, prepare to shed them now"
Mike Anthony sells dogfood in Northumbria.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back