• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BC Canada - White egg with Brown Speckles - Please Advise (1 Viewer)

Eudaemon

Hello Viewers,

I have an inquiry to those more educated than I.

It is the end of April in the central region of British Columbia, Canada.
I went outside today and noticed at the edge of my lawn there was a small egg under a juniper bush branch in quite plain sight. This was a new discovery which I had not seen the day before when I was out. After watching it for a few hours with no birds coming to the area I began to wonder. There are no nests in close proximity to where the egg lay, thus I would likely conclude that the egg either was carried and dropped there, or the egg was actually laid in the spot it lay. As the temperature dropped during the evening (it is still dropping to zero degrees Celsius at night) I reluctantly went outside and took the egg in to keep it at a suitable temperature.

Wanting to find out what exactly I was getting myself in to I spent some time doing some quick research on what to do in such a situation and most information on the internet pertains to the discovery of baby birds themselves and not from the egg stage itself. Understandably there are some giant risks in every outcome that can be done for the egg at this point, whether to leave it outside to freeze, or to make the drastic attempt to raise a baby bird myself.

Regardless of my feelings, the egg is in quite a dilemma, and I am wanting to do what is in its best interest of existence, if but temporary: The egg seems to be healthy and freshly placed where I found it. If it was not dropped then there is a good chance the fetus inside is still alive as the temperature has not gotten cold enough to kill it (to be hopeful). No birds seem to be giving it any interest. It will freeze at night so leaving the egg outside would likely kill the fetus if it is still alive.

My current standpoint on the situation is this: Put the egg right where I found it during the warmth of the day, and when it grows cold at night bring it in to keep warm. This is in hope that one of the parents might come along and take it to a safer place - if birds will do that? I plan on continuing to do this each day until either the egg disappears, or the egg hatches. If the egg hatches, I will follow the unofficial instructions I found at website: "http://aviary.owls.com/baby_bird.html" until the thing is old enough to try its luck with handling its own with the other birds outside at my bird feeder. If anyone has a more positive suggestion for the egg's best interest I would appreciate any input.

In trying to identify what was the species I was dealing with, I wondered- influenced by optimism - that it may be a white breasted nuthatch. Influenced by pessimism I suspected it may be a brown headed cowbird. Considering the variables of the situation, I am guessing my pessimism will overrule. Concerning the picture given below, if anyone can identify what it is I am dealing with it may help me determine what "should" be done with this small organism. Thank you for your time and opinion.

Egg.jpg

My opnion and it's only that is for you to put the egg back and forget about it, or throw it away. I don't mean to sound harsh but 1rst of all you don't even know if the egg is fertile. I know that ducks will lay eggs well before they are ready to make a nest since the eggs are not fertile they don;t tend to lay them in any particular area. 2nd you touched the egg, now maybe some people will tell you that that does not matter, but trust me if the parents were ever going to come back for that egg they won't now that you've touched the egg. 3rd the egg might have been stolen from a nest in which case the parents have no idea where it is.

If you do want to take care of it, go to a animal (cow etc.) feed dealer and buy a incubator and read up on whatever kind of egg it is and find out what climate the egg needs.

Sorry to sound so crude or rude or whatever but people should let nature be and stop thinking they can help it (unless if they caused the trouble).

Cheers,

Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back