• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wood Warblers in Cumbria (1 Viewer)

Stand on Zanzibar

England
I'm up in the Lake District (Ullswater) this weekend (5th/6th/7th May) and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for Wood Warblers?

All information gratefully received.

Thanks

Tim

I'm up in the Lake District (Ullswater) this weekend (5th/6th/7th May) and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for Wood Warblers?

All information gratefully received.

Thanks

Tim

I saw and heard 2 Wood Warblers singing in the woods at the western base of Whitbarrow scar in south Cumbria in May last year. I was looking for butterflies at the time, and am not at all local to the NW, so I'm sure someone can give you much better gen ! Maybe they're not uncommon if you find any large wood with beech in that part of the country.

good luck,

Larry

I've heard (even once seen) Wood Warblers in Borrowdale, in the woodland round Shepherd's Crag and Black Crag.

Good Hunting

Mono

Try Tarn Hows (national trust), we had Wood Warblers singing and giving great views when we visited a couple of years ago. (plus Red Squirrel!)

And it is fantastically picturesque...

ATB

Robin

Success!

We heard our first Wood Warbler on Saturday morning at 5.30am as we drove slowly past suitable habitat on the West shore of Ullswater and very quickly got great close up views of it doing it's stuff.

A bonus was a pair of Pied Flycatchers in the next tree. As this was only about ten minutes from where we were staying it negated the need to try further afield. I'd expected to spend the whole day hunting!

However, after that the floodgates opened and we had them everywhere we went - Haweswater, Torver Common - totalling 7 separate individuals seen with a further 6 separate individuals heard only. The last was this morning just before picking up a particularly confiding Garden Warbler.

Thanks again for responding to my request for info.

Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back