• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI- Arizona in August (1 Viewer)

davids

Hi

I am considering a family holiday in Arizona in August. I have visited the state before but this was in April and would appreciate some advice.

Does it get too hot for birding. I know this is the 'wet season'. Can the rain be prolonged or is it just short thunderstorms?

I would plan to visit the SE canyons and grand canyon but any advice on sites and places to stay at this time of year would be welcome.

Thanks

David

The ABA guide to southern AZ mentions that August is the season for maximum hummingbird diversity. Temps in the SE corner are high, but creeping up the mountains makes it more bearable. Most of the rain is concentrated afternoon thunderstorms, strong enough that they cause local flooding.

Disclaimer: I have not myself visited during August.

Niels

Hi David,
August is a very good time to bird the Southeastern part of the state. Many migrants have started making their way through and the hummingbirds are fantastic. The days are hot, but as Niels said the mountain canyons make it more bearable.
If we have true "monsoons" the clouds will roll in during the afternoon, dump the rain and roll out. However, over the last few years its been more of a rainy season than monsoonish, more clouds and rain can come in at any time. Some years the monsoons leave early August other years it hangs around till late in the month or even into September (don't I wish it's been dry here and could use all the rain we get).
All in all a great place with excellent birding in August.
If you have any specific questions feel free to pm me.

Last edited:
I birded SE Arizona in August of last year and had a fantastic time. Some thunderstorms did occur but were of short duration. The birding was very good!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back