• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowloon Info Wanted (1 Viewer)

I am going to Kowloon in June for afew days. Please can anyone give me some local bird watching sites to visit?

What is the area like for raptors?

Can you recogmend a bird guide for the area, which is available locally ?

Is it safe to go birdwatching on your own ?

Thank you for your help

Matt Coumbe

[email protected]

Kowloon is part of (greater) HongKong, and as HongKong is a small area, and has a good public transport system, try doing an internet search for birdwatching sites in HongKong as they are all possible.

I've visited HongKong on a couple of occasions, and two places I'd recommend for easy birdwatching are Kowloon Park and The Peak over the harbour on HongKong Island.

Black (Black-Eared) Kites are always present. I think that you would be lucky to see any other raptors.

There is a bird guide to the birds of HongKong which should be available locally, as should the much-criticised Field Guide to the Birds of China.

I never felt threatened or unsafe bird watching in HongKong. It is a large city, so take usual care with not displaying too much of value on the streets, as you would in any other city.

There are people on this forum with a lot more knowledge of the area than I have, so hopefully they will be able to add more.

Julian

Matt,
You can get almost anywhere in Hong Kong in an hour so don't limit yourself to Kowloon Park, although it is a good place to start. You could visit the Mai Po Nature Reserve (Ramsar site ) where most of my photos are taken (45 mins), or Tai Po Kau (woodland habitat ) 40 mins. You will need a permit for Mai Po which you can apply for from [email protected] .
HK is not a good place for raptors in summer but you will see Black-eared Kites and may see Sea Eagles, Buzzard, Crested Goshawk,Peregrines,Osprey. Neil

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back