• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mothagrams! (1 Viewer)

James Armstrong

Flowerpot Man
Seven British Moths from 2,400 plus species are hidden in the following anagrams. There's a theme as well!

1. Fight swots.
2. Think highbrow, mad mum.
3. A well-worn monster's spiel?
4. Lucid megapode.
5. Gee! A crackpot!
6. Pish! Lax lemon.
7. Rats! Brisk slogan.

Good luck!

o:D

james and geraldine

Last edited:
God, I struggled with a couple of these! Especially the last one - which book were you using for the names?

1. Ghost Swift.
2. Hummingbird Hawkmoth
3. Lesser Swallow Prominent
4. Clouded Magpie.
5. Great Peacock
6. Small Phoenix.
7. Blair’s Knotgrass. (I've never heard of this one - but it's all that would fit)

Well done CJW! Charles is going to be hacked off again... :storm:
We were quite pleased with the theme - did you spot it? The source we used for all the names was the systematic list in this excellent website discovered tonight:- www.ukmoths.force9.co.uk.
By the way they are looking for lots of photo contributions to complete their pictorial moth galleries - might be of interest to BF moth photographers.
We had to laugh too Michael when we saw our leader's name in the frame.
:t: B :)

james and geraldine

Well done, indeed, CJ. No, I'm not hacked off at all, I would never have attempted them myself, not having collected moths since high school, and knowing zip about British moths anyway. But don't look for anagrammed palindromes until I find out what machinery you guys use to make these. I haven't the time or patience to do it on the back of an envelope....

I'm still not happy with this Blair's Knotgrass, James. There's a Blair's Shoulder knot that I'm familiar with (having written a short paper on the northerly spread of the species back in the 90's), but I can't find any reference to this knotgrass species - it's doesn't seem to be on Ian's website that you used.
Blair's Shoulder knot would have maintained your bird theme though.

Hi CJW,

You're quite right - many apologies - mixed the species' names up in my excitement. So you get 1,000 bonus points for unscrambling a non-existent species and a zillion points for having written a short paper on the one it should have been! Wow - I'm seriously impressed. You're like the Sherlock Holmes de nos jours - he was always writing monographs in amazingly erudite fashion.

james

Hi Charles,

I've only worked out how to create the anagrams with that programme. I solved Birdman's without artificial aids (discounting pencil and paper) and hereby solemnly swear that I will always keep to that straight, narrow and manual path.

james

Last edited:
Pardon; to get back to my topic for a moment--

Palindromes make poor anagrams. To wit:

1. A raw, odd crow.
2. Extant axes, so on.

PS: Did you guys buy that software just to do this?

Last edited:
Hi James,

Knot, I wonder where that idea came from today ;)

AND YOU MEAN there is no moth with Little Gull in it's name 3:)

Don't Labour the point Chris... sigh

:t::t:

I've got a free 'trial' version. Do you think I'm that mad as to buy it!!!!!
1. Draw! O coward
Still working on the 2nd one.

james

Now just hold on a cotton-picking minute here. I sat down with a pen and paper and sweated over them for 15 minutes, when you guys used some computer software to produce the list of 'mothagrams' - and even then you managed to produce a made-up species. Some people have no morals. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back