• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Farne Island Area - help (1 Viewer)

Seamoor

Am going to visit the Farne Islands next week, does anyone know of Campsites in the area. Also any good birding spots besides the Islands:

Hi Seamoor

The Farnes is awesome !!

You could visit my local patch at Low Newton/Beadnell Bay a few miles south of Seahouses (where you get the boat), there's a great arctic & little tern site at the Long Nanny Burn... well worth visiting, the tern wardens hut is right in the middle of the action so you get good views. A few bits there today... little gull, bonxie, arctic skua and a few manxies.

There are quite a few caravan sites up here, not sure if they take tents, but there is a camp site about 2-3 miles south of Seahouses at Beadnell. Its just on the northern edge of Beadnell and the main coast road goes right past it.

Is there anything you particularly want to see ?

Northumberland coast in general has loadsa great birding, there are loadsa well known sites from Holy Island south..... Budle Bay, Farnes, Newton, Amble/Coquet Island (for roseates), Hauxley, East Chevington, Druridge, Cresswell.... etc etc...

Feel free to drop me an e-mail if you need anymore help....

G

What's the best time of year to go to the Farne Islands? I'm desperate to take my daughter who's obsessed with this type of thing,I'd prefer to go when the Puffins are more active and the Terns etc have chicks.

Late June/early July should see the colony at its best. Don't leave it too long, because the middle of August sees the puffins vanish overnight.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back