• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review Zeiss Jenoptem and Russian BNU4 (1 Viewer)

Simon S

25 years ago I bought a pair of binoculars from a camera shop in Kingston South London for around £25 pounds. I did a comparison in the shop with a pair of Swifts and decided the oily smelling Russian BNU4 8X30’s where superior in there image quality and build.
Five years ago I gave them away to a chap at work who wanted a pair on binoculars for his newly acquired boat. By that time the chunky Russian binoculars had some paint missing and where in need of some TLC. Then a few months ago I won a pair on eBay for £15 and the collection of binoculars began….

The Zeiss is a great little binocular. It is fairly light and is well built with little slop in the focusing column. This is a later build model (late1979) with the improved coatings on the glass, and is clearly superior to earlier variants. Weight is 500 grams.
Eye relief is ok for non spectacle wearers but causes a lot of the image to be cut out with specs on.

The Russian binoculars stand out with there large oculars and deep focusing wheel.
There is no slop in the focusing column and the lenses have a purple coating , and like the Jenoptem use BAK 4 Prisms.
Weight is 600 grams which is noticeable when comparing the two.
Eye relief is almost useless if your wearing spectacles!

Looking through the Zeiss binoculars the image is bright and clear, with the field of view remaining sharp to around 80% of the field of view. Colour rendition is neutral field of view is wide. The focus is smooth and precise with no backlash whatsoever. The Jenoptem’s do suffer from flaring and ghosting when the sun is in front of you. There are modifications to improve this performance, which require fabrication of a prism mask and alterations to the internal baffling.

The BNU4’s give a slightly yellow view but the centre image is super sharp. Like the Jenoptem’s, they stay sharp to around 80% of the field of view. Focusing is smooth but with some backlash that is more annoying than detrimental on focusing. Flaring is again poor on this model and also could do with a bit of baffling internally.

So which model is best?
Well they are both good bins for different reasons.
The Russian bins are built like a tank! If I dropped them from chest height onto grass, they would work just fine. The Jenoptem’s however would need re collimating and possibly suffer a chipped prism in the process.
The Jenoptem’s have good colour balance where the BNU4’s do not. Most of the time this is not a problem, but for bird watching, colour fidelity is of great importance.

The Zeiss do also seem to have a slightly wider field.

Overall the Zeiss wins in general optical performance. It is bright sharp, and colour neutral. But if you’re a person who wants a tough cheap pair on binoculars, The BNU4’s are for you.

Hi Simon,

I used to have a pair of the Russian 8 x30 'Gnu's' as they were nick-named, which I enjoyed a lot for a few years until they were stolen from my car one night. I have to say that the colour cast was the only down side to these optics, which were tremendous value for money.
I especially noticed the difference when I replaced them with some Opticron Dioptron 8x32's which were much 'bluer' and appeared to be brighter.
I also had a pair of 10 x50 'tento' Russian binoculars, which were quite a different build to the smaller one's but still with the colour cast. Again these were ridiculously cheap, but gave me some very good birding.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back