• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gibraltar Point NNR (1 Viewer)

andythomas

I'm off to Gibraltar Point on Sunday (October 5th). I've never been before, but it's supposed to be good for migrants. Yellow-browed Warbler, Red-breasted Flycatcher and Common Rosefinch have all been reported this week, and all would be lifers for me.

Perhaps those of you who've been there would like to say what you thought of the place and what birds you saw.

I'll post a report on my return.

--
Andy

It's a long time since I went to Gibraltar Point, and before my "serious" birding days.

My recollections are of it being further away than you think... take something to eat... and wrap up!

Birdwise, ermm sorry!

Andy,

I am sure you will enjoy Gibraltar Point NN Reserve. I have been going there on and off for about 45 years, Started my ringing training there in 1958, remember it well as we caught several Snow buntings and a few twite. You will have a enjoyable day I am sure, plenty to see and do, be well wrapped up as it can be a cold place as Birdman has indicated. There are some pretty good birds at Gib at the moment, hope some of them hang around for your visit. Have a good trip and please tell us about your visit.

Hi Wildgoose

We are planning a trip the reserve later next week - what birds can we expect to see at this time of year?

Any tips for the best parts of the reserve?

Doug,

This week there has been Common Rosefinch, Red B. Fly, Yellow browed warbler, and today at North Parade, Skegness a Sardinian warbler. If the wind turns easterly anything may turn up including Scandinavian migrants. On arrival go to the visitor centre and ask what is about and where on reserve, everyone is helpful. All areas of the reserve should be enjoyable, you need a day to do the place justice. Hope you and your party enjoy your visit. Unfortunately I cannot get over next week or I would join you.

Andy,

It is a great place, with a variety of habitats. The forecast may mean you are better off seawatching than looking for migrants.

When I went it was well into May and there were still Shorelarks lingering, got some great views. Wish digiscoping had taken off then..

Stephen.

Sunday 5th October was a quiet day at Gibraltar Point. We arrived at 9.30am to find cloudless skies and a westerly breeze. An early morning fall of finches and thrushes including Bramblings had already moved on, and rarities discovered earlier in the week had not been seen for several days.

We started by walking through the plantation to the Jacksons Marsh hide. A few common passerines were around including Goldcrest and Long-tailed Tit. A flock of about 10 Redwings flew over in a westerly direction. From the hide we could see a Snipe and a few Teal, but not much else.

Continuing to the Tennyson Sands hides we flushed a small flock of Song Thrushes from the bushes. The pools had quite a few Little Grebes and a couple of Dunlins. Crossing the road to the Mere we found a large number of Teal, with Shoveler and Wigeon. About 40 Black-tailed Godwits were asleep on the spit, and a Water Rail appeared briefly at the far end. A couple of Swallows flew over southwards. A Jack Snipe had been seen earlier in front of the hide, but had disappeared before we arrived.

Walking towards the beach someone spotted a bird perched on the fence which I identified as a Whinchat. Continuing to the viewpoint looking over the sea we saw the first of several juvenile Gannets flying close inshore. I could see some Scoters on the sea and walked down to the beach for a closer look, but by the time I reached the sand they had vanished.

We set up our scopes for a spot of seawatching, but apart from the Gannets there was not much moving close to shore. An auk flew past which we couldn’t agree on. I spotted some Scoters on the sea further north so we walked along the beach in that direction. We found two of them and were delighted to see they were Velvet Scoters.

We returned to the cars for lunch and then down to the beach south of the point, overlooking the Wash. There were plenty of waders here – mainly Redshank, but smaller numbers of Oystercatcher, Curlew, Dunlin and Turnstone. A group of about 25 Brent Geese were at the water’s edge, and a similar number of Eiders were just offshore. The highlight for me came as a Merlin flew across the beach in front of us chasing a Meadow Pipit. The pipit twisted this way and that trying to escape, but the Merlin followed every turn. Just before they disappeared out of sight, a second Merlin joined in and then a third. Not only was this my 200th species of the year, but Merlin has been my bogey bird for 25 years. Then three came along all at once. :D

--
Andy

Brilliant - liked the Merlin bit! A bogey bird for us too so now I have to get over there.

The weather has been so iffy this week we have kept away from the coast buut plan to hit Flamborough tomorrow so maybe Gibralter Point on Friday or Saturday

Andy - is the visitors centre open every day or just weekends? How about availability of Loo's?

Doug,

Visitor centre should be open every day and loos are behind the visitor centre. At a pinch there plenty of thick bushes on the sand dunes!!

Hi All,
This is the first post anyone as done for more than 100 days in the Lincolnshire slot.

Most interesting bird I saw was a Yellow-browed Warbler and my first male Hen Harrier. That was Nov' 5th 2002. Been since but nothing to beat those two.

Intellectual.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back