• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best scope on a £300 budget (1 Viewer)

si654

I'm looking at getting a spotting scope but im not sure about what i want, i've been researching all the diffrent makes of scopes but the more i read the more confusing it gets.
I already have a mm1 small scope that i bough 2nd hand that is fine for taking out but i was looking at getting something better.
i have a velbon cx660 tripod that i use with my camera would i be able to mount a scope on this ?
Any experiences on buying scopes would be most helpful thanks in advance..

Something like an opticron es80 would be good- has an 80mm extra low dispersion (ed) lens and is fully compatable with opticron eyepieces.

ed is a special coating that helps stop purple outlines you sometimes get when looking at, for example, a bird against a bright sky. ( think of looking through a ruler - thats the sort of fringing you get on non-ed scopes, just to a lesser extent) i think alan rymer is selling his opticron es80 on here with an eyepiece for 250.

Other things to think about are weight - it can hurt after a long days birding! - and field of view - the actual amount of stuff you can see when you look through your scope or bino's. this is measured in How many metres of view you can see at 1000 metres, or in an angle.

If weight is an issue, look out for a kowa ts613/4 secondhand - lightweight 60mm ed scopes with very good performance.

Also, i would consider upgrading your tripod - the cx series arent veryu sturdy when it comes to scopes - the velbon sherpa range is a good 'un

Finally, if you want to have a crack at digiscoping, you generally need ed glass - camera sensors are very sensitive to purple fringing ( this is sometimes called CA - chromatic abberation )

Last edited:
I'd go for a cheaper scope with a quality eye piece, then upgrade later if you feel the need. That's what I did. I started with the Opticron IS60 with HDF zoom lens (gives 15-48X with the scope), about £270, or £300 if you include the stay on case. I then upgraded to the ES80 ED. I still have the IS60 when I want to travel.

ok,thanks for the advice I think im gonna save some more and go for a scope with ed glass beacuse if i just buy a cheap one for now i will regret it in the long run plus I have still have my mighty midget1 for now..
I have allso been looking at the nikon ed50 but dont like the idea of 50mm lense if they did this scope in 70mm it would be perfect for my needs.
I have seen they do a 82mm one aswell but its little out of my budget at this time..

Last edited:
I have allso been looking at the nikon ed50 but dont like the idea of 50mm lense if they did this scope in 70mm it would be perfect for my needs i have seen they do a 82mm one aswell but its little out of my budget at this time..
What about the 60mm Nikon Fieldscope III ED? It gets very good reviews and is a bit cheaper than the 82mm scope.

I bought an ED50 on Saturday and, while its very early days at the moment, I am extremely impressed so far. I was looking at a Song Thrush perched on top of a tree about a hundred metres away from my house at dusk tonight and was able to pick out plenty of detail. There seems to be a big jump in cost to buy just about any other ED scope and the zoom lens with my ED50 will fit the other Nikon bodies should I want something bigger later.

Ron

Hi

I can recommend the kowa ts-614. the ed glass really makes a difference, especially if combining with a zoom. If you do a google search for the 613/4 you might be able to get a 2nd hand one for your budget.

yea its sold that one now..
thanks anyway..
I think im gonna have to find a place where they have these kind of scopes and optics, i know the best deals are to be had online but i would like to at least try some before shelling out vast amounts of cash the problem is in manchester theres not many places that sell quality scopes .
the only place i can think of is jessops but they dont sell nikon, opticron or kowa it gonna be probally one of these brands where my scope is gonna come from leica and swaro is definetly out of my league price wise..

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back