• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alauda arvensis scotica? (1 Viewer)

Capercaillie71

I recently found a reference to this subspecies of skylark, presumably inhabiting Scotland. I was unaware that our skylarks were considered to be different from everyone else's. It seems strange, particularly as Scottish skylarks are not particularly geographically isolated. Does anyone know what the justification for this subspecies is?

Svensson p.67 says:

"Incl. here [under Ssp. arvensis] is ssp. 'scotica' (N.British Isles), claimed to differ from nominate by being slightly darker and tinged more rufous above on average, but difference too slight and overlap too large to warrant separation".

Bit in BWP also.

What about 'our own' Scottish Linnet Carduelis cannabina autochthona too eh ?

Splitters, bah ! (only joking)

Linz

I recently found a reference to this subspecies of skylark, presumably inhabiting Scotland. I was unaware that our skylarks were considered to be different from everyone else's. It seems strange, particularly as Scottish skylarks are not particularly geographically isolated. Does anyone know what the justification for this subspecies is?

It's all down to subtle biochemical differences with ssp scotica having very high levels of silicones on the body feathering; an adaption to ease life in a land of perpetual rain!!!!! :eek!: :-C

Attachments

• Skylark singing in the rain.jpg
    Skylark singing in the rain.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 135
I think that Chaffinch vocalisations, though moreso 'rain songs', differ quite a bit between different local populations, but I'm not sure whether this is enough to suggest at least that said populations may qualify as subspecies, or whether it's more on a par with the example of the Quail given in the Sound Approach to illustrate local dialects?
Regards,
Harry

There are widespread differences in Chaffinch songs and calls, which seem to follow little pattern. Along the Black Sea coast the call ends in Great Spot like 'kik' but inland in Bulgaria they do not have this. As Harry syas, they are best thought of as dialects.

There was a taxonomist who worked in Scotland, Philip Clancey, who had a tendency to name subspecies on the slightest of clinal differences, and A. a. scotica is one of them, adopted by almost no-one else since.

Scottish Linnet Carduelis cannabina autochthona is more widely accepted, although the differences are subtle. There is some good evidence for the race being isolated - there are no recoveries of Scottish-ringed Linnets in England I believe. There will be quite a lot on sibspecies in the forthcoming Birds of Scotland.

There will be quite a lot on sibspecies in the forthcoming Birds of Scotland.

there was a period in the early 20th Century when people were claiming subspecies for all sort of birds, with very little evidence and very small sample sizes. Wha they were seeing was local variability - songs and calls differ between quite small areas, but that doesn't make them a subspecies.

It's worth bearing in mind that political climates often influence these periods of 'splitting' (hence the interwar splitting frenzy in the UK, and subsequent lumping frenzy coinciding with the birth of the UN and EEC!) and nationalistic countries claiming a form of their own. I suspect that the forthcoming Birds of Scotland will reflect this.

there was a period in the early 20th Century when people were claiming subspecies for all sort of birds, with very little evidence and very small sample sizes. Wha they were seeing was local variability - songs and calls differ between quite small areas, but that doesn't make them a subspecies.

It's worth bearing in mind that political climates often influence these periods of 'splitting' (hence the interwar splitting frenzy in the UK, and subsequent lumping frenzy coinciding with the birth of the UN and EEC!) and nationalistic countries claiming a form of their own. I suspect that the forthcoming Birds of Scotland will reflect this.

No, it will reflect current BOU taxonomy.

Gollocks

It's worth bearing in mind that political climates often influence these periods of 'splitting' ...........and nationalistic countries claiming a form of their own. I suspect that the forthcoming Birds of Scotland will reflect this.

Not all of us up here voted for or support those Nationalist idiots or have nationalistic tendencies. And yes as pointed out above it is the BOU who decide and determine UK speciation and as far as I can tell the B stands for BRITISH.

BOS3, as far as I can tell, has no political agenda.

Along the Black Sea coast the call ends in Great Spot like 'kik' but inland in Bulgaria they do not have this. As Harry syas, they are best thought of as dialects.

Interesting. I have heard this commonly this spring in Sweden in two different areas, and also in Latvia last week, but haven't heard it in Britain. Very distracting when straining to hear woodpeckers!. How widespread is this?.

Has anyone ever thought about Scottish Chaffinches? That chink call they make around Aviemore is pretty different to my Mancunian birds.

I wouldn't pay any attention to this. As lots of folk say - dialects. Consider that a recent study found that cows on different Somerset farms had different "dialects". Different species ? Maybe to the British Bovinologists Union, all were the same breed (Holsteins) to me.

Mike.

Scottish Linnet Carduelis cannabina autochthona is more widely accepted, although the differences are subtle. There is some good evidence for the race being isolated - there are no recoveries of Scottish-ringed Linnets in England I believe. There will be quite a lot on sibspecies in the forthcoming Birds of Scotland.

A ringer who has recently started working on my farm has been talking about this. IIRC he said there are a very few. He is concerned that there is a hole in ringing effort for linnet in southern Scotland (which he is aiming to plug), thus the lack of movements could be a sampling artefact. 380 odd ringed last winter, hope future efforts are as successful. Hopefully this will improve the evidence on movements.

Mike.

P.S. Remember, if you see a dead bird - check it for rings :) Apparently recovery rates now are a fraction of what they were 40 or 50 years ago.

There was a taxonomist who worked in Scotland, Philip Clancey, who had a tendency to name subspecies on the slightest of clinal differences, and A. a. scotica is one of them, adopted by almost no-one else since.

For anyone interested in Clancey, he was dealt with briefly in the Secret Freezer a couple of months back. Here.

A bit off thread to ask this question, true, but Mike has made the following point

Mike.

P.S. Remember, if you see a dead bird - check it for rings :) Apparently recovery rates now are a fraction of what they were 40 or 50 years ago.

What fraction are recovery rates compared with 40 or 50 years ago? Is that just birds found dead by members of the public (anyone who is not a ringer), or all recoveries?
Allen

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back