• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory 8x42 Fl (1 Viewer)

TREEBUG

Would be interested in comments from owners of the FL's. I'll be buying these or the Swarovski EL's once I can make my mind up! :-C

Hi Treebug,

I'm in the same boat as I have a pair of the non-Lotu-tec 8x42 FLs on order. With any luck, they will arrive before the end of next week. I will let you know my impressions once they arrive!

I have owned the 8.5 x 42 ELs and they were excellent. I will say that my initial experiences with the FL line (currently own the 8x32 FL and have spent some time using the 7x42 FL) are that they are a touch brighter than the Swaros, which seems to be very pleasing to my eye.

Either way, you can't go wrong.

Regards,

Steffan

Last edited:
Boy, that's a tough call. They're both so good. I think the ELs have some attributes which make them preferable for some hunting senarios and the larger "sweet spot" makes finding game from a tripod a bit easier. When using hand held, as most 8x bins are these advantages become very small. Many people, myself included believe that the FLs are slightly sharper on axis and slightly brighter which is probably better suited for general purposes or birding. Just my 2 cents.

Hi Treebug.

The top three are very close, but you will hear this repeated on all of the forums followed by a litany of personal preferences and gossip. In truth, the right selection boils down to your individual preferences as to the view afforded and the handling qualities.

I have owned an FL for two years and picked it over the others, (cost was not an issue), based strictly on the optics, handling and engineering. Subjectively, they are very ADDICTIVE... I can't wait to pick them up and use them...it's the first pair that I've had where I feel that I am being sucked or pulled through the binocular and into the "picture". With my older BN's and others I have always been aware of the instrument between my eyes and the target. As to the engineering aspects of the FL, I have been an engineer and aviator (by trade) all of my life and I am a strong proponent of the use of composites and metal in the construction of aircraft, autos and bins. Tough stuff.

The important thing is to take your time and view/use samples of each as much as possible. Enjoy your quest and in the end you will make the right choice.

Bill

Last edited:
Treebug,

I can see you're going through the exact same process I did recently, though in my case it was to supplement my all-around favorite Leicas. Between the FL and the EL is a tough call, very tough. My personal opinion is that of the three, I'd get the Leica Ultravid by the slimmest of hairs (even though you didn't ask). That said, you can't go wrong with ANY of the three, and if it came down to the Els or the FLs, for YOU personally, then the only way to break that tie-breaker would be to try them both in a shop side by side and get the one that feels better for your particular facial and optical anatomy, etc.

I used my FLs yesterday and was blown away. I used my ELs today and was equally blown away (although, my grin was a little more pronounced; it was a "design elegence" thing, not the least bit optical - in which they're essentially equal).

Hope I helped more than I confused. That's the dilemma with two sweet choices.

Robert / Seattle

Thank you guys for your messages-some great responses here. I have decided to go for the EL's-they just feel great when held and optically I couldn't tell a huge difference between these and the FL's. It's been a tough decision-though a nice one to have to make!

Thank you guys for your messages-some great responses here. I have decided to go for the EL's-they just feel great when held and optically I couldn't tell a huge difference between these and the FL's. It's been a tough decision-though a nice one to have to make!
That's what's important. I'm sure you'll be happy.

I used my FLs yesterday and was blown away. I used my ELs today and was equally blown away

Robert / Seattle

"Gone with the Wind", so to speak ....

Hi Robert!
I hope you had a safe landing after the optical take-off.
It made me wonder why there has never been a thread on the comparative aerodynamics of binos.
Do you think it would be worth opening a discussion?

It could be exciting to compare drag coefficients of the EL catamaran to that of a Leica Trinovid, aka "the Tank".

Cheers,
Tom

TreeBug, I was just curious how you've been enjoying your new ELs now that you've had almost a month and a half to evaluate them. :hi:

Would be interested in comments from owners of the FL's. I'll be buying these or the Swarovski EL's once I can make my mind up! :-C

In my opinion there's not much to choose among the big three. I liked the look (slightly) through the FLs best when I bought, and I liked the ergonomics much better than the others. The ergonomics swing the deal for me. YMMV

TreeBug, I was just curious how you've been enjoying your new ELs now that you've had almost a month and a half to evaluate them. :hi:

Hi Patriot,

Sorry for the long response to your message. I've found the optics on the EL's stunning (apart from some very noticable colour fringing in some conditions) and they feel great to hold.

Sadly though, the weight of them has been an issue. I have an old neck complaint which has re-introduced itself after a few hours out in the field with the EL's. This has meant them having to go and I'm now considering the Zeiss Victory 8 x 42 FL or, if they are also too heavy (as I expect they might be) the 8 x 32 FL or EL.

I guess it's decision time again!

:-C

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back