• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do you know the ZOOM H4? (1 Viewer)

marie b

Is anyone using the ZOOM H4 for birding yet? I know nothing about recording (except what I have read)and have no equipment yet. Was recommended this by a film sound person.
Comments would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

:cat:

There is a thread with some information here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=74183

Several people, more experienced than me, have suggested that solid-state recorders like this don't perform as well as 'old-fashioned' HiMD minidisc recorders when it comes to bird recording (more background hiss etc.), but I'm sure others will be able to give more details.

If you are new to recording you may find some useful stuff in this thread that I started last year:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=66742

Is anyone using the ZOOM H4 for birding yet? I know nothing about recording (except what I have read)and have no equipment yet. Was recommended this by a film sound person.
Comments would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

:cat:

It seems to be a recorder either people love or hate. I have to say the test sample with a ME67 in post #10 in the link given above sounds pretty good to me, very natural ! Then again I am reknowned for getting usable sonograms from the mankiest (worst) recordings !

Personally I prefer flash recorders over MD. I hate Sonic Stage software and the units are not very robust ( though I dropped and drowned my first MD and it kinda kept working).

If your budget can stretch to it look at the Fostex FR2-LE which is a CF recorder that most people are raving about. I got one a month ago and have not used its big brother (the Fostex FR2) since - it is that good. Really clean preamps as long as not maxxed out. A recent firmware update allows mono recording to save card space.

If you are on a budget you can't beat a Sony MZRH1 Mini Disc Recorder and a Sennheiser MKE300 mic. Total cost under £300.

Hope this helps,

Linz

Thank you both so much. I now have a lot of very useful info to thread;) through and digest (an awful lot of Greek in there). And then decisions. I've also come across remembird -- love useful looking gadgets. I've often wished I didn't have to go back and forth between notebook and bins, dropping pencils, etc.
When I get going I'm sure I will be back for help!
Best
Marie :cat:

I've also come across remembird -- love useful looking gadgets. I've often wished I didn't have to go back and forth between QUOTE]

Remembird is surprisingly good at what it does. It hasn't got the same quality as the HiMD but there is a version that takes an external mike input. You can listen to some samples here

One CF card recorder to avoid is the Edirol R09, which is awesomely noisy with something like a MKE300

I have a Zoom H4 and am quite happy with my choice. I do this for fun and not professionally. I took a look at Fostex FR2 LE and like the looks of it. Good specs and probably a better unit than H4 but a littel more money. I notice no built in microphones which I would consider a minus. Carrying a mic can be a pain so don't do it all the time. H4 mics aren't great but you can do some decent recording.
I got a 1 GB card which gives me one hour at CD stereo wave quality. H4 runs on two AA batteries and I always keep two in my pocket. I walk around a lot with unit on but in pause mode and headphones on listening for something good. The ME 66/H4 can hear stuff my old ears can't.
Plus is a built in speaker which could be used for playing back your screech owl sound ??
Never go with a group to record. Someone is always talking at the good spots.

Last edited:
Anyone knows the Hz-Khz-range for the H4, little information on this in the manual??
TBMike, are you pleased with the noice-level and sound quality from this recorder?
Stein, Norway

Zoom H4

Anyone knows the Hz-Khz-range for the H4, little information on this in the manual??
TBMike, are you pleased with the noice-level and sound quality from this recorder?
Stein, Norway

Hi Stein,

there are separate buttons to choose quality.
Best mode is WAVE with 24 bit 96 khz, another is 16 bit WAVE 44,1 khz, or you can choose mp3 with up to 320 kbps.

Any mode can be fine tuned separately. Sound is great even with internal microphones (always use the included windscreen).

The first firmware of the Zoom H4 didn't show any battery status and even remaining time for recording. So if these features are missing, just download the newest firmware.

Bep

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back