• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

French swans have deadly bird flu (BBC News) (1 Viewer)

got to say they're being quite calm about it this time, when there was the first outbreak I was told all sorts of crap by the French such as 'you won't be able to go birding/it's dangerous to go birding/we'll have to cull all the birds/the birds are evil for spreading disease etc etc. This time all I've seen on the news is that pigeon racing has been stopped and poultry moved indoors, though with the weather I think the chickens were already indoors by choice!

got to say they're being quite calm about it this time, when there was the first outbreak I was told all sorts of crap by the French such as 'you won't be able to go birding/it's dangerous to go birding/we'll have to cull all the birds/the birds are evil for spreading disease etc etc. This time all I've seen on the news is that pigeon racing has been stopped and poultry moved indoors, though with the weather I think the chickens were already indoors by choice!

Nick do you know what sp of swan they are? There's pic of Mute on the link but knowing the BBC's tendancy to pull the nearest bird to match their story from the archives .....! Just wondered whether they've traced the source of outbreak this time (wasn't it a nearby domestic poultry farm last time) - original 'panic' could have been over the possibility of migratory vectors, perhaps this has now been ruled out in France?

I'd assume they're mute, the only info I can find on the french government's bird flu website (which has a rather jolly quiz!) says three young swans.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back