• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moth-burgling (1 Viewer)

Cuckoo-shrike

A friend of mine runs an MV light from his cliff-top garden and catches plenty of interesting moths, including rarities. On checking the trap in the morning recently he has noticed that the egg-trays have been moved around and there are other signs that it has been tampered with.
He has come to the conclusion that a moth-enthusiast holidaying just up the road is "raiding" the trap during the night to see what goodies are in there!
Last time I saw my friend he was about to start an all-night vigil to catch the "burglar" in the act!
Has anyone ever heard anything like this before? Makes birders seem like saints!

Fantastic!! - intrigue, let us know what happens!!!

Hope to be down your way next week Aquila for a look around Windmill Farm with Stuart

Darrell

Well the guy on holiday wasn't caught in the act, but when challenged he admitted going through the trap so he could compare with what he was catching up the road!
Needless to say, he earned somewhat of a rebuke and a few dents in his reputation.

My friend intends that he will be widely named and shamed as this sort of behaviour goes against the "moth-trapping moral code."
Does anyone know what else is embodied in said code?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back