• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Poole birding sites pls? (1 Viewer)

gindog

United Kingdom
I may be going to the Poole area shortly from Hi Wycombe and would welcome any recommended sites to go birding?

cheers

obm

Poole is a great base for birding with loads of good sites around. I've had two long weekends there and there's enough to fill a week with a great range of species at any time of year (we got 75 by early afternoon on Jan 1st!)

Just across the ferry is Studland Bay and Studland Heath, with NT hides overlooking Little Sea and Brand's Bay in the harbour. Beyond Swanage is Durlston Country Park. Further round the bay is Arne RSPB and there's a great National Trust hide the other side of the Middlebere Channel.

Heading the other way through Bournemouth is Hengistbury Head and Stanpit Marsh in Christchurch Harbour, and a little further on Keyhaven Marshes and the New Forest.

When are you going? With an idea on dates people can suggest which sites are best at that time, but for certain there's plenty to see at any time of year.

Graham

Many thanx for that Graham.

I am not sure when I am going. Would like to go at a time when most likely to see large variety of birds. Guess that would be better later in year but happy to go and have a look in next week or so.

I shall make a note of the sites you mentioned before I go.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back