• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owl (1 Viewer)

Wakey

In the small wood behind my house i can hear a tawny owl, what is great. However, after 2 weeks of searching i cant find it. I hear it at one side then at the other but i just cant find it. Has anyone got any tips (ive kept to the paths so not to disturbed any wildlife, but can see just about everwhere from the paths. Also tryed at ever time of day)

I've been very lucky with tawnies this year and actually seen four in different locations (two in broad daylight). The best view I got was about 8am in the morning in a clearing at the edge of woodland, and I saw a brief glimpse of one flying into the wood, and I stood motionless for a few moments thinking "nah, couldn't have been..."

Then there was an almighty noise of finch and thrush alarm calls, and it flew back the way it came right in front of me, with a chaffinch, blackbird and song thrush in hot persuit! It disappeared into trees where the din continued, with jays joining in the mobbing.

The other occasions - one time I looked out of the window of my old house, where I regularly heard them hooting, and finally saw one silhoutted against the sky. Another time I was taking a stroll at dusk on a local footpath, and was lucky enough to see two flying around, and most recently saw one roosting at Old Moor nature reserve (this was on a guided walk though, so I was cheating!).

Listening out for mobbing is by far the best way, but otherwise spend a bit of time around the areas where they're hooting and hope for the best, because there's a lot of luck in it!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back