• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A New Critter Today (1 Viewer)

Tammie

Hi Forum!

While out driving with my husband today, we came across this critter we think is a marten, on the side of the road. He went up a tree and my husband got a few dark shots of him.
Any certain ID's out there?

Attachments

• martin3,oct18\'03.jpg
    martin3,oct18\'03.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 252
Lucky you! I've never seen one, never mind photographed one. I guess there has to be some compensation for living somewhere where it snows in October :)

Another member of the ferret family, weasels and stoats are within this group, and have the most inquisitive faces, cute, but deadly! Definately a pine marten, not common in the british isles, but there are a few. Nina.

This is an American Marten (Martes americana) rather than the old world Pine Marten (Martes martes). Nice sighting and photo though.

Well, I'm glad I finally got the 'marten' part right! These critters can be awfully hard to tell apart. Some of them look an awful lot alike! This guy was none too happy about us being there talking to him either. I didn't know they could growl!! ;) Sure is a beautiful animal though.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back