• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Winter Visitors are arriving-Hodbarrow reserve,South Cumbria (1 Viewer)

christineredgate

Winner of the Copeland Wildlife Photographer of th
Just thought I'd pop on here a few of the species i have seen in the last couple of days.just wish they had been here when we did the GGBC2 count.
Nothing terribly exciting ,but just lots of them.
Sorry ,forgot to say where i am .Haverigg ,Cumbria,the home of the Hodbarrow RSPB reserve.
In the bay there was a good selection of oystercatchers,herons,Cormorants,Dunlins,Black tailed Godwits,Curlews,lapwings,and the usual selection of gulls.
In the reserve itself,there was one little grebe,redshanks,(they were in the bay as well),golden eye ducks,red breasted mergansers,ruddy ducks,and the usual selection of teal,mallard,greylag,coot,tufted ducks,and although i myself did not see any(they mix in with the grey lags) there have been some Pink Footed.
An interesting selection. The main reserve has been looking pretty sparce during the last couple of months ,but hopefully things should be looking up now the winter migrants are arriving.
Christine.

When you say ''in the bay'' .... is this an inland site or the sea ?

Saw some Pinkfooted geese flying low across our marshes on Friday, 2 flocks of about 70 in each. The geese are common winter sight but it's first time I've actually put a definite name to them.

Carlos,when I say in the bay,I mean the bay where the tide comes in.Yes it is the sea,it is where the Duddon estuary flows into the Irish sea.I myself did not see the Geese,but they were noted on the board in the bird hide,The bird reserve is just across from the bay.
If you go to the thread/forum,Where do you Live" started by Beverley,on about the 3rd page ,I think.I actually put two photos of haverigg,one of the view across the bird reserve to the mountains and one of the harbour where the river lazy,flows into the estuary which in turn goes into the irish sea.I submitted the pics on Sat,so should not be too difficult to find.
christine.

Hi Christine

I am hoping to visit hodbarrow in june. Can you tell me of any gems I may find?

I have visited on a previous occasion but only breifly. I made an error of judgement and tried to drive round....oh boy LOL!!!

Hi,Sleeper,I am not an expert,but I think in June,there will still be some nesting terns both on the ski slopes and in the hide,there should be lots of chicks,esp of Lapwings,etc.The Great Crested Grebes should still be there with young,plus all the usual waders.
Stephen Dunstan would be a better person to ask,but there will be lots of birds I can assure you.Also,Ringed Plovers,lots of Linnets,Stonechats,and other small birds nest in and around the sandunes.When you are considering a visit,let me know,and I will put a list on the Forum or send you one.When it gets to August,most of the nesting birds have gone,and it is pretty quiet until the winter visitors arrive.You can drive part of the way round,but you need good shock absorbers.Oh you may be lucky and see some grey seals,they often come up to the sandbanks in the estuary,oh,yes,Herons and cormorants galore!!
Christine

Sleeper,

Christine is modest as ever. Hopefully the terns will return and you could see four species, Christine has some nice pics from last year.

Stephen.

Thanks for both of your replies. I am really looking forward to my visit. It was a toss up between Scotland and Cumbria and the pull of St bees and a return visit to Hodbarrow won out.

I will be visiting mid June so if nearer the time I post when I can confirm I would be really greatful of any birds about. I have checked the Cumbria bird club out but obviously the site takes time to update so it gives little in the way of "actual" birds. thanks again for your kind help.

PS

Stephen

I managed to see the shore lark and snow bunting at Starr gate which was a real joy. Both these birds were a first so it was a visit well worth making. I was even impressed with the massive flocks of Starlings which took to the skies early morning.

There is an e-mail newsgroup which gives more up to date info on Cumbria - it is a yahoo group. One of the regular contributors covers St Bees.

Yes, it has been a great winter at Starr Gate. With all the seawatching I do I look back fondly on Blue Fulmar, GN Diver, Slav Grebe, up to 40 Scaup, 8 LT Ducks and so on. But it is the larks and buntings that have drawn the crowds in.

As far as the Starlings go I did a gull survey last month which meant I parked at North Shore and walked down to Starr Gate. Taking the tram back late afternoon there were Starling swarms circling each of the three piers as I went past, even non birders on the tram were remarking on the patterns they made.

Stephen.

Sleeper,you might also find details of Hodbarrow Birds on the Birdguides site,but because it is such a small,although at times very well stocked reserve it does not get many mentions.When you think you may be coming over,send me a PM or e-mail a few days before,and I'll let you know what there is around,at least hopefully the board in the hide may have something written on it.
Cannot wait for the better weather,to arrive

Thanks Christine i will take you up on that nearer the time. I am a subscriber to birdguides but as you say it does not often get a mention sadly. thanks again for your help.

PS I hope the weather has calmed down for you up there as It seemed the lakes got quite a battering in places.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back