• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cape May late September (1 Viewer)

Rhys

Staying in Cape May for 8 days late Sep/early Oct. Been sussing out the area with Google earth etc and W.J. Boyle book. We're staying at the eastern end of Cape May Island not far from the Coastguard Training place.
What I want to know is what's that big chunk of undeveloped land there flanked by Pennsylvania Ave. on the north and Pittsburgh Ave. on the wWest? More to the point, is it accessible, and is it any good for birding? It would be nice to get a decent bit of habitat within a short walk from our accommodation. I can't see any trails so guess it may be fenced off?
Any info or advice gratefully received
All the best
Rhys

Unfortunately I'm not sure what that is, but in my time researching and visiting Cape May I haven't heard about it in regards to birding. It might be owned by the USCG and would most likely be inaccessible.

Even though it's close to you, the western side of Cape May is a VERY short drive and there are plenty of absolutely fantastic birding spots in the area. Higbee Beach (at the end of New England Road) for starters, and you must absolutely check out Cape May Point State Park. I visited there last spring and was at the park almost every single day. So many species of warblers and waders coming through, not to mention the usual Ospreys and other birds of prey. Just take the boardwalk trails all around, you're sure to see a ton around that time of fall.

About 20 minutes north Stone Harbor is a decent spot for shorebirds. The southern end of SH is undeveloped. Nummy Island could produce some interesting things as well, just be careful parking on the side of the road. The Avalon Seawatch is supposedly great for sea birds, although I didn't get the chance to check it out when I was there.

Feel free to ask any other questions! Let's get the NJ forum going! :t:

Oh, I'm not sure how much flexibility you have or who you're staying with, but if you get a chance head up the Parkway to Edwin B. Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge. There is a 12-mile drive out into the marsh that will produce a ton of great birds. It has been quite the hot spot this summer, producing a ton of rarities for the northeast.

Thanks for the responses and good advice guys.
Yes I can't wait to visit Higbee and all those other great sites - have already memorised map of all sites on Cape May Island;) . I do have a car and so we will probably venture up north to other sites as well.
Will have to forget aboutNearctic Birding for a while though as I'm off to Ireland for 3 days tomorrow seawatching B :) B :) :t:
cheers
Rhys

Rhys,

I believe I know exactly where you mean. It's not 2 Mile NWR, the location posted by Sarahbn. Two Mile isn't on Cape Island, its across the canal on the way into Wildwood.

The location you mention is a weedy overground field, one of the few left in East Cape May. It can be pretty good, friend of mine have found Lark Sparrow and Vespers Sparrow there. Can have a few warblers, but birds don't seem to concentrate there like they do on the west side of the island at places like Hidden Valley and the Beanery. Enjoy your time there. Should be a good time. You'll catch the tail end of warbler migration, wader migration, the beginning of sparrows, and just about the peak for Peregrine movements.

Looks like you've got it Kumlieni:t:
I''ll be checking it out as it's only a couple of 100 yards from our accommodation Many thanks|:D| Rhys
I'll let you know how i got ono:D

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back