• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scottsdale in January (1 Viewer)

tbcash80

Help please.

I am travelling from the UK to attend a conference in Scottsdale, AZ in January 2008 and am starting the important birding planning.

Can anyone give me some ideas of birding places to go to in the near vicinity in the afternoons/evenings (say within 50 miles) ?

I shall also have a couple of days free following the end of the conference. Thoughts on where I should go (say within 150/200 miles) ?

I guess at this stage I am looking to see southern US 'endemics'.

All help and thoughts gratefully received. TIA.

TBC

Anyone got any ideas please ???

Help please.

I am travelling from the UK to attend a conference in Scottsdale, AZ in January 2008 and am starting the important birding planning.

Can anyone give me some ideas of birding places to go to in the near vicinity in the afternoons/evenings (say within 50 miles) ?

I shall also have a couple of days free following the end of the conference. Thoughts on where I should go (say within 150/200 miles) ?

I guess at this stage I am looking to see southern US 'endemics'.

All help and thoughts gratefully received. TIA.

TBC

Hi, TBC. Try this site, might give you some ideas. Also, I've read of some good birds showing up at Boyce-Thompson Arboretum outside of Phoenix in the winter. I'm in the far reaches of Southeastern Arizona near Bisbee, which is probably further away than you want to go. Hopefully the link will give you some ideas.

Hi, TBC. Try this site, might give you some ideas. Also, I've read of some good birds showing up at Boyce-Thompson Arboretum outside of Phoenix in the winter. I'm in the far reaches of Southeastern Arizona near Bisbee, which is probably further away than you want to go. Hopefully the link will give you some ideas.

Lisa - thank you for your advice. After Scottsdale I have 2 1/2 days and I am thinking of heading for se Arizona. I am working my way through the Tucson Audubon guide, but would be very interested in your view on (say) 4 key sites to vist in Janauary in se Arizona. Many thanks

Hello TBC;

I am a Englishman living 120 miles North of PHX, in Sedona. I think you may be better heading South East, it will offer more birding area's. IF you would like to see Hummingbirds, that would be the area to go. There are several places that are set up for visitors and they offer accomadation, but there are Motels everywhere. Google is a great place to start, but I am in PHX most weeks, so reply if you have any more question's.

Hello again, TBC. Just returned from CA for Christmas, sorry for the delay. My favorite spots in Southeast Arizona in January would be:
1. Whitewater Draw and the surrounding Sulpher Springs Valley - great for Sandhill Cranes, Owls (Barns and Great Horned), Hawks (Red-tailed, Ferruginous, Northern Harriers, Cooper's, Swainson's), Vermilion Flycatchers, Phoebe's and sparrows.
2. Madera Canyon, below Tucson. I haven't been in winter, but it's supposed to be good birding.
3. There is a place called Ash Canyon Bed and Breakfast, near Sierra Vista. One of my favorite spots to bird, summer or winter. For wide variety with little walking you can't beat Mary Jo's. She also usually has some hummers stick around for the winter.
4. Patagonia and or Patagonia Lake Park, last few years they've had an Elegant Trogon overwinter there instead of heading south.

If 1, 3 or 4 interest you and you're going to be around on the weekend (I teach so can't get off work). I'd be happy to play tour guide, as long as you don't mind a novice birder. There are decent accommodations in the Sierra Vista area that are near those three also. Sierra Vista is about 3 hours southeast of the southern Phoenix area.
Pm me if you have detailed questions.
Lisa

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back