• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Troublesome Birds - Buenos Aires (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Grey-crowned Tyrannulet - Grey-capped?

D

Last edited:
I am pretty sure common gallinule will be common moorhen.

Likewise, I am pretty sure that SA Painted Snipe is the same as Am Painted Snipe.

The others I cannot answer off the top of my head, maybe with some more searching

Niels

A little more:

Sulphur-throated Spinetail - Sulphur-bearded? seems right according to the Internet Bird Collection, which uses Sulphur-Throated for Cranioleuca sulphurifera which in Opus is Sulphur-bearded Spinetail.

Grey-crowned Tyrannulet - Avibase has this as a "doubtful taxon", but does not say that it is subspecies of something else either, so I honestly don't know.

Bonaparte's Blackbird - White-browed Blackbird? This seems correct, as Avibase mentions that this species was described by Bonaparte and that Bonaparte's Blackbird is another English name ...

Golden-breasted Flicker - This seems to be subspecies melanolaimus of Colaptes melanochloros AKA Green-barred Woodpecker. This subspecies seems to be sometimes split into Colaptes melanolaimus (or melanolaema) AKA Golden-breasted Woodpecker which however is not in Opus (only recognized by Clements at this point, it seems). A redirect therefore probably at this point should go to Green-barred W.

Rufous-thighed Goshawk -- Search for only the first two words give three results, an accipiter, a buteo, and a kite. The accipiter is most likely based on Goshawk, and the map includes Argentina, so that would be my guess: Rufous-thighed Hawk (Accipiter erythronemius)

Bare-faced Ibis - Buenos Aires: Whispering Ibis (Phimosus infuscatus) according to Clements and other authorities. Avibase has Bare-faced Ibis as alternative name for Sharp-tailed ibis, but not used as such by any authorities, and the map does not show sharptailed south of Brazil.

Argentine Ruddy Duck : according to Avibase, Lake Duck has a whole slew of synonymes: Argentine Blue-bill, Argentine Blue-billed Duck, Argentine Lake Duck, Argentine Ruddy Duck, Lake Duck

Cheers
Niels

Edit: Golden-breasted Woodpecker appeared in 4th and 5th edition of Clements but not in 6th edition ...

Last edited:
Yup... Golden-breasted Woodpecker [Colaptes (melanochloros) melanolaimus] is a subspecies of Green-barred Woodpecker (Colaptes melanochloros), sometimes considered separate species.

Last edited:
Thanks both...

I have edited my post to leave just the Tyrannulet... hopefully one day someone will be able to track it down.

D

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back