• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bat ID please (1 Viewer)

David

I know next to nothing about bats but we have 3 species (of different sizes) flying in the evening around the garden (Central Europe, Czechia).

Can anyone help with this little fellow (pix below)? Barely 5 cm long. Found him hanging on my garden shed in the woods this afternoon.

Attachments

• bat01.jpg
    bat01.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 125
  • bat02.jpg
    bat02.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 139
I'm no expert especially in a non-British context but I'll stick my neck about a mile out and suggest with not much contrast between top and bottom and a pink face on a pretty hairy small bat with unexceptional features, maybe Soprano Pipistrelle?

John

When I looked (not a expert but have a intrest in bats) I also thought Soprano Pipistrelle. Based on my Field Studies ID chart. Also size.
Regards Kim

a pipistrelle I think though im no expert. but because its alone at this time of year, it is definatly going to be a male. The females are all going to be roosting together at this time of year with their young.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back