• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fieldscope III Vs RAIII (1 Viewer)

andrew_b

I've been looking at the above 'scopes and although my heart belongs to the EDIII I cannot stretch that far (unless anyone knows anywhere really cheap).

What are the main differences between the Fieldscope III & RAIII?

Is the Fieldscope III worth the extra?

When you say you've been looking at these scopes, have you actually looked through them, or just looked at the written spec?
The optical performance of the EDIII is better all round, hence the difference in price - the ED Fieldscope is barrel focusing, whilst the RA III Spotting scope has a traditional wheel/knob on the side of the body, near to the eyepiece. Eyepieces are of a different format between both series. The ED has "ED" glass whilst the RA hasn't - the major difference, particularly when using a zoom eyepiece or digiscoping. Try them if you can - for the price the RAIII is definitely value for money given the image.

As for really cheap - good luck!

I looked through both the RAIII & Fieldscope III and I couldn't really tell an awful lot of difference.

The only scope that was noticibly different was the ED III and unless I can find it cheaper than Warehouse Express will be but a pipe dream.

Can anyone confirm that the ED50, Fieldscope III and ED III (60) all use the same EP? If they did at least I would have to replace the EP's should I upgrade.

Can anyone confirm that the ED50, Fieldscope III and ED III (60) all use the same EP?

Yes they do Andrew.

John.

Yes they do Andrew.
John.

..but the magnifications are not the same on the three scopes. For example, 50x on the 82 mm is a 40x on the 60 mm and a 27x on the 50 mm.

A question: what did you notice to be different about the ED version of the fieldscope III vs the non ED?
--AP

Last edited:
It seemed a little more "zingy". I know thats really not much help and I did wonder on the way home if it was just me trying to convince me that I need to spend the extra ...

I have a real problem buying things, I alsways spend more than my ability needs ...

"I have a real problem buying things, I alsways spend more than my ability needs ..."

If thats the case then the RAIII should be sufficient for your needs - regarding your problem buying things perhaps trousers with shorter pockets?

(Only joking!)

But then my fear is that I will need to upgrade in the near furture and will have wasted money.

These conversations go round and round ... ;-)

I have the Nikon 82mm Scope RAIII WP it is my 1st scope and
have been pleased with it but if you want to digiscope like I am now
i think you will need to get the ED 82 i know its more money but well
spent because I will next year update to the ED 82 for digiscoping
However if you are just looking through the scope go for the cheaper one

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back