• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Slc 8x30 Or 8x32 El (1 Viewer)

TREEBUG

Hi all,

Well, I've tried the 42 EL's and the Zeiss Victory 42 FL's and while they both have a lovely image, I have found them both too heavy for my neck over long periods of use.

So, I've decided to go for a pair of 32's (my dealer has kindly agreed to swap them-very nice man) but I now have a decision to make. Do I go for the 8x32 EL's or the 8x30 SLC's? Is it worth paying the extra money for the EL's?

Obviously, I will be auditioning both before making the decision, but I was just wondering what the general consensus is.

Thanks,

Rob. :flyaway:

You could try saving £100s and go for a porro prism 8x32 SE Nikons, but your dealer might not be too pleased! I have a pair of 8x42 SLs and the difference between them and my old SE's is marginal,

John

I seem to remember you asking about the Zeiss 8x32 FL versus Swarovski 8x32 EL not too long ago. Did you decide you didn't like the Zeiss, or other premium roofs like the Leica Ultravid, or is your dealer only able to swap Swarovski for Swarovski?

For me, the EL are a much more desirable bino than the SLC. Optically, I doubt there is much difference (I've never tried them side by side) but the 8x32 is my favorite bino ergonomically whereas I find the SLC awkward, in large measure because of its focus wheel placement. Also of great importance for me as a butterfly watcher is the 5' 10'' close focus of my EL.

--AP

I seem to remember you asking about the Zeiss 8x32 FL versus Swarovski 8x32 EL not too long ago. Did you decide you didn't like the Zeiss, or other premium roofs like the Leica Ultravid, or is your dealer only able to swap Swarovski for Swarovski?

For me, the EL are a much more desirable bino than the SLC. Optically, I doubt there is much difference (I've never tried them side by side) but the 8x32 is my favorite bino ergonomically whereas I find the SLC awkward, in large measure because of its focus wheel placement. Also of great importance for me as a butterfly watcher is the 5' 10'' close focus of my EL.

--AP

Hi Alexis,

I think I've tried just about every binocular available!

As I have found the EL 42's too heavy for my neck (not to mention the colour fringing-anyone else noticed it?) I've been looking at most of the 32's available. The colour fringing has put me off the EL's a little, maybe it's just me though, so I've narrowed it down to the Zeiss FL's and the forthcoming Ultravid HD, which I keep hearing good things about. Tried a pair of the current Ultravids this morning and apart from the awful focus wheel, they had the nicest image to my eyes when comparing them to the FL's and EL's.

I think I have a long wait now for the HD's to arrive!:-C

Rob

If money is not an issue, then I'd recommend the 8x32 EL for two reasons:

a: The EL has much better handeling.
b: The focus wheel on the 8x30 SLC is located in the front of the hinge.

Good luck!

I have the 8x30SLC but buy also own 42ELs. I think that the 8x30s are a great value if you don't mind the forward focus. I now use the 8x30SLC without any thought to the focus at all but I'm pretty adaptable between bins. I don't see the ELs as a huge ergonomic advantage myself but I don't tend to grasp my bins from the side. I hold them more from the bottom.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back