• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fieldscope Help (1 Viewer)

Robert D.

Hi would anyone have any details (especially on image quality) on the first series of the Nikon Fieldscope.

I have opportunity to buy one off the Internet but am not sure on the exact model. Its secondhand and the seller advises me that its a 60mm, and it name is Nikon Fieldscope ED 60mm P. I am advised that it does not have a II or III in its name. It comes with a 15, 20, 30 and 40X lens.

I understand that those marked ED have the better quality optics, but can find no details about that model.

thanks

Rob

I have a nonED version of the original Fieldscope (orginally labeled as Nikon Spotting Scope, then renamed Fieldscope) which I've described on various posts on Birdforum.

Like all Nikon Fieldscopes it is super-rugged and it has excellent optics. Actually, the optics are amazingly good (sharp, good edge of field image quality, excellent flare control), even though they are single coated (not multicoated, and I'm not sure the prisms are coated). Still, a Fieldscope II (some multicoating) or III (full multicoating) should be even better, though at ~24x I don't notice much practical difference in image quality (slightly less color saturation?) in comparison with my Nikon 78 mm ED or my 50 mm ED.

The eyepieces for the Fieldscope I are not of wide-angle or long eye-relief design. Because the protective glass to keep stuff out of the body when the eyepiece is removed is located right inside the eyepiece threads, you can't use any of the modern Fieldscope eyepieces (including the zooms) that extend into the scope body. I think the 24x is the most powerful WA eyepiece that fits it.

It is a very good, functional scope, but not a substitute for the Fieldscope II or III.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back