• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derwent & Howden Reservoire (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
A friend sent this website link to my e-mail address this morning. It is a couple of hours from where we stay, so I think we will visit in the very near future

http://www.digicam69.co.uk/derwent_howden.htm

located at the Upper Derwent Valley

Almost guaranteed to see Goshawks, so he stated. o:)

Anything else that may be of interest that we should know about, or has anyone had other different experiences while visiting here at all? ;)

Last edited:
Almost guaranteed to see Goshawks, so he stated. o:)

QUOTE]

Wouldn't quite say that. If weather aint good you've got very little chance, and your best in April. Red Grouse, Dipper etc should all be in the vacinity year round.

Cheers

Hi Dan

Thanks for your advice here

It sounds like the spring time is better bet for Goshawks. So we will wait a little longer here.

So we will see what we can this month. I have seen lots of Red Grouse in Scotland, and observed a Dipper once so far. The thing is I love to see wildlife ten times over it if that is the case here. :-O

Still to be enjoyed at its best. Any interesting wildlife we should consider watching out for in September? Love to know here? ;)

peewit

We live near Manchester and used to see Goshawk pretty reliably at Derwent Water, but much more difficult now.

Forest of Dean next March may be a better bet when they are doing their roller coaster display on a calm sunny day. If you search the forum for New Fancy View, you will get details. AFAIK it's the most reliable known about spot in the UK.

And what to do in September instead? Keep you eyes on those weather charts and wait for a migrant fall - the most exciting birding there is, if it happens where you are, but very hard to predict.

Or look out for returning waders, lots of nice things to see even at inland birding sites near landlocked Bedford at this time of year.

Sadly Goshawks and other birds of prey are rapidly declining in this area due to illegal persecution. See the recent RSPB update report showing how the problem continues to get worse http://www.rspb.org.uk/Images/PeakMalpracticeUpdate2007_tcm9-165094.pdf

Graham

Hi Graham

Thank you for your information about this area. The link does make for sad reading. I think it is just that people misunderstand the BoP, and nothing is going to change them in a rush from thinking any different.. :-C

As what has been said many times, that there has to be drastic action taken to prevent the decline of BoP's. Of course taking strong armed tactics, and legal action against any person found disturbing them in any way at all.

If only that was the case as it appears not to be so clear cut as that. This is another issue altogether. So much has been said about it already here. :-C

peewit

We live near Manchester and used to see Goshawk pretty reliably at Derwent Water, but much more difficult now.

Forest of Dean next March may be a better bet when they are doing their roller coaster display on a calm sunny day. If you search the forum for New Fancy View, you will get details. AFAIK it's the most reliable known about spot in the UK.

And what to do in September instead? Keep you eyes on those weather charts and wait for a migrant fall - the most exciting birding there is, if it happens where you are, but very hard to predict.

Or look out for returning waders, lots of nice things to see even at inland birding sites near landlocked Bedford at this time of year.

Hi Liz

Thank you for your information, and your interesting observations here. ;)

Sorry to be silly here, but what does AFAIK mean?. I will look at 'New Fancy Views' after I have typed this and see what you have posted. :t:

So March is the best time of the year to see Goshawks, at Forest of Dean, and that will be taken into consideration for a future visit. I hope that these birds are still around as they should be, wild and free.
As you say it is taking what you see at the time, and I will look out for the migrant fall at our next visit. It will produce lots of opportunities to see if ID-ing will be my new forte at the end of the day. Lots of improvements to be made there. ;)

I think any trip is very weather based, and I find myself looking at 'Countryfile' on TV as it gives the full weeks weather - sad is it not - but necessary!!

We are thinking of visiting Grathan sometime over the next few weekends. It is a place closeby to us in Bedford, and we enjoy walking around it a lot at the moment.

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
Sorry to be silly here, but what does AFAIK mean?. I will look at 'New Fancy Views' after I have typed this and see what you have posted. :t:

Kathy,

Sorry, didn't spot your post earlier.

AFAIK = as far as I know.

I say that because we have never been to New Fancy View but it has been a recommended spot for seeing Goshawk.

It is also firmly in the public domain (via Forestry Commission website) so not giving anything away to those who mean them harm.

And it's not too far from you. Forest of Dean is a nice place for a visit, we used to go when we lived down south, but now up north so we go elsewhere for our Gos;)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back