• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help needed with new firewall! (1 Viewer)

James Armstrong

Flowerpot Man
Since downloading the Sygate firewall recommended by Diane, I keep getting messages asking me whether I want to let things cross it e.g. birdforum, Symantec (my anti-virus update program) etc. In some cases I can see what it is and tick accordingly but in a lot of cases I haven't a clue. One message I keep getting is:
"Win 32 kernel core component (kernel32.dll is trying to send an ICMP Type 0 (Echo reply) packet to...(a ten digit address)" How can I find out whether these type of messages are referring to some sort of evil worm or trojan thingy or whether they are harmelss things I should allow? I've looked at the details box but still none the wiser...In the meantime I usually tick no.
Help/advice from anyone would be much appreciated.
Many thanks,

James Armstrong said:
Since downloading the Sygate firewall recommended by Diane, I keep getting messages asking me whether I want to let things cross it e.g. birdforum, Symantec (my anti-virus update program) etc. In some cases I can see what it is and tick accordingly but in a lot of cases I haven't a clue. One message I keep getting is:
"Win 32 kernel core component (kernel32.dll is trying to send an ICMP Type 0 (Echo reply) packet to...(a ten digit address)" How can I find out whether these type of messages are referring to some sort of evil worm or trojan thingy or whether they are harmelss things I should allow? I've looked at the details box but still none the wiser...In the meantime I usually tick no.
Help/advice from anyone would be much appreciated.
Many thanks,

If you have winxp, you wouldn't need an extra firewall... I assume you haven't.

There surely must have been a setting you have missed during setup - this one scans your existing system for all software that wants to contact the Internet and sets a basic default to allow these.

Either you have missed this during setup or the firewall you have is massively user-unfriendly - I don't think that there is any way you will be able to tell what is 'friendly' and what isn't the way you currently have it set up, so far as I can see.

But... outgoing requests are almost all friendly unless your PC already has adware / virus / worm, etc. infected.

I would:

1) delete the product
2) re-install
3) during setup look out for "scan system" or such like, and let it do its job before progressing.

Alternatively - with luck - someone else will have a better solution!

Thanks for the advice Scampo. You're right - Windows ME not XP. Didn't have a scanning operation during the set up. I'll hang on a bit and see what other people say as well.
Cheers

Last edited:
James Armstrong said:
Thanks for the advice Scampo. You're right - Windows ME not XP. Didn't have a scanning operation during the set up. I'll hang on a bit and see what other people say as well.
Cheers
Windows ME seems to have probs. Wouldn't touch it myself, likely to cause more probs than just setting up a firewall.

Anyone had success with Win ME and firewalls?

May be worth a try with Zonealarm - widespread - should have lots of info in FAQ's.

Andy.

satrow said:
Windows ME seems to have probs. Wouldn't touch it myself, likely to cause more probs than just setting up a firewall.

May be worth a try with Zonealarm - widespread - should have lots of info in FAQ's.

Andy.

It's true that a few people did have problems with WinME owing , probably, to their particular computer hardware setup but I think generally it was a very sound OS - I used it on two PCs without any notable problems. Certainly I would now recommend WinXP Home to anyone as it is has proven to be a pretty much rock solid opertaing system and is compatible with most hardware.

Regarding the firewall problem, it seems to me that there's not much point in moving to ZoneAlarm having purchased already a different firewall. All firewalls operate similarly, so I think it's simply a matter of having missed the system scan on setup - or, simply to risk accepting the initial batch of requests from the firewall that will come in when it is first used as these will simply be the computer's existing software 'asking the firewall for permission' to use the Internet connection.

Another useful thing to do after having got things up and running is to install SpyBot or AdAware - in fact, it would be far better to install and run these before you re-install the firewall - these rid the computer of tiny programs called cookies and similar that send information back from your computer to advertsing agencies and the like about your Internet surfing habits - and more.

This kind of software is completely free and, seems to me, to be well worthwhile.

Last edited:
It might be best to download and run Lavasoft Ad-Aware 6.0 after disinstalling the firewall and before re-installing it just to clean out all of the junk.

James,

ICMP packets are used to test the connection between network points. Most of the ICMP packets that hit your computer from the outside are generated by virus programs. If your system returns an answer the virus program will send the attack. I've turned ICMP off on my firewall with no ill effects. The only time it could become a problem (that I know of) is if someone is trying to test connectivity to your network. Turning off ICMP response should not interfere with your Internet access.

Bill

Does anyone use the Firewall that comes with Windows XP and has anyone an opinion as to whether it is as effective as Sygate and/or Zone Alarm?
Any information would be gratefully received.

Grousemore said:
Does anyone use the Firewall that comes with Windows XP and has anyone an opinion as to whether it is as effective as Sygate and/or Zone Alarm?
Any information would be gratefully received.

As mentioned in my post above - I have used it and it works perfectly well. I used to use Norton but find the WinXP freeby a perfectly good alternative and much more integrated.

Thanks for the information,Steve.I have used Zone Alarm for some time,but as I am now using Win XP,I thought it may be sensible to use the built-in Firewall.
I like the sound of the 'integrated',so will give it a shot.

Trevor,

The XP firewall does not filter outgoing programs. It is not easily configurable, though there is a Microsoft page which aids setup. Best used with a second software firewall that does check outgoing programs.

Bill,

A lot of ICMP 'pings' are from previously-visited servers checking whether you are still active on the site. Others may be from portscanners testing for trojan servers or other vulnerabilities. Others may be from 'worms' which are similar to viruses.

Steve C.,

WinME tends to be less stable and more problematic than 98SE, 2000 or XP. Make sure it is updated for vulnerabilities and don't forget to patch the System Restore feature (it doesn't work after September 2001 otherwise).

Generally,

Pest Patrol is another program used to clean up Ad-ware, Spyware, Trojans and other nasties that leech your bandwidth and invade your privacy. None of these are perfect, so scan with at least 2 such products.
For cleaning the registry of leftover installs, try RegCleaner www.jv16.org .
EDIT. RegCleaner (freeware) no longer available, use one of their other programs (shareware).

Cheers,

Andy.

Last edited:
The XP built in firewall is not as configurable or as reliable as standalone ones, whether purchased or free. It is recommended (on numerous tech support sites and forums) not to rely on the XP one and to install either Zone Alarm or Sygate, if you don't want to pay for one.

I had nothing but trouble with Windows ME and took it off my computer almost immediately, but this is probably not the cause of the problem with the messages. Some people also get on OK with Zone Alarm, but again, I had some issues with it and removed it.

I have the Norton Internet Security package at home, but downloaded the free Sygate firewall for the computer at work. I find that Sygate is not throwing up as many warnings as Zone Alarm did. However, until you have all your permissions set up, you will get some messages as various applications try to access the Internet.

If you click the Details button in the warning box, you will see more information on the access request and can usually make a good guess as to whether to allow it or not. If you decide to allow the access, tick the 'always remember this answer' box for that particular programme and you will not be asked again for it.

I found a website where it gives information on what to allow and what to deny, but the information is at work so I will look it up tomorrow and post the details here. Win 32 is OK to allow, as far as I can remember.

Thanks,Andy and Diane for the further information.
I have removed Zone Alarm and am relying on WinXP Firewall,but it does not seem to be at all 'overt';in other words you don't know if it is working or not,whereas ZA had an icon for reassurance.
Like a lot of computer/software dilemmas,it can get very confusing for the Tyro!

It's surely very easy to act in an near paranoid way about PC security and if you're running a single home PC then Win XP is quite admirable and sufficient safety, I feel certain - at least extensive experience suggests so and I prefer that to theory.

WinXP's firewall has proven ideal for me since the product was launched - there is no need to filter outgoing 'pings' if the incoming 'pings' are safe, I would say! I run a small wireless network and can say with confidence that WinXP's firewall works very well indeed. I have, as I have said, used Norton Security Suite (and Zone Alarm) - more trouble than it's worth for the average user is my experience.

The main bugbear these days is Internet viruses and email - spam and virus attachments. Firewalls don't stop these - but a good virus scanner does.

WinXP's own free firewall, the free hardware "firewall" of my network router, Norton AntiVirus, Adaware or SpyBot, and MailShell's SpamCatcher are what I have found to be easy to use and configure.

Last edited:
Grousemore said:
Thanks,Andy and Diane for the further information.
I have removed Zone Alarm and am relying on WinXP Firewall,but it does not seem to be at all 'overt';in other words you don't know if it is working or not,whereas ZA had an icon for reassurance.
Like a lot of computer/software dilemmas,it can get very confusing for the Tyro!

Rest assured the WinXP firewall is working - constantly and silently in the background.

I will rest assured,Steve.....I've never previously encountered anything that works "constantly and silently"....but that's another story!
(thanks again for the help)

satrow said:

Andy.
Hi Andy,
Re Win XP / ME. I wouldn't touch XP but have been using ME on two PCs and my laptop since it first came out. OK - it's Windows and it does crash, but not as often as some would have you believe. Problem with XP: I loaded it onto my main PC and was immediately informed that the majority of my hardware - sound card, video driver and mouse - were not compatible. I know I can force the programme to accept what I have, but this strikes me as possibly leaving bigger problems till later.

Now - back to your original question. I use ZoneAlarm, set up to monitor my PC's access to the net and record all 'alarms' which are usually harmless, if annoying, 'pings' from some url somewhere in the world.

So yes - firewalls (I've also tried BlackIce) and WinME get on together just fine.

James - I suggest you also get hold of a prog called AdAware. This will check your PC for spyware and ask you what you want to do with it.
If you would like any further info PM me.

In the meantime, a kernal item trying to access the net does sound a little questionable. I've never come across that one before, but I'll make some enquiries.

Mike

I read somewhere that running the Windows firewall in tandem with a branded one can cause conflicts. Any views on this?

Jason

Mike,

I assume that you ran the pre-install test for XP - not 'installed' it. You must have a very strange PC setup if neither your video, soundcard nor mouse will work in XP! Otherwise you just needed to download the correct drivers - something we have to do whenever the latest OS is used on existing hardware.

Having upgraded dozens of PCs to XP (and built and installed scores of new PCs with XP), I have yet to find a videocard or mouse that does not work with it. There are a few soundcards (notably those using Aureal Vortex 2 chips) that are not supported. The most likely problem hardware in my experience would be scanners and older peripherals.

If you're happy with an OS that crashes fine, I'm not.

As it is possible to infect a PC by merely clicking a url on a web page, I take security very seriously, and employ a number of measures to ensure the integrity of my computers.

AdAware has aleady been suggested as has Spybot and Pestpatrol - but check with two of them - they each find things that the others miss!

Cheers,

Andy.

Jason,

I have used the XP firewall with at least 5 alternatives (on different PCs), with no obvious side effects.

Sometimes a particular version of a firewall will have problems at system startup, (often an antivrus conflict) with previous Windows versions; I have not seen this with XP.

Andy.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back