• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cala Bona, Majorca 26th Sept 10th - Oct 2003 (1 Viewer)

IanF

Cala Bona, Majorca 26th September – 10th October 2003

In September of this year we had another trip to the holiday resort of Cala Bona on the east coast of Majorca. This time around we had my mother along for the trip. Whilst it was a family holiday I managed a little bit of birding each day in and around the resort area.

The resort itself stretches around what is essentially a large bay, with Costa de los Pinos to the north and Punta d’Amer in the south and about five miles between them. Bang in the middle is Cala Bona, its focal point being a picturesque fishing harbour. Stretching south from there are the hotel shops and restaurants of Cala Bona and its sister resort of Cala Millor. The coast itself has a lovely sandy beach about one mile long at the Cala Millor end, and a rocky coast to the north of that with several smaller sandy beaches. Just a mile inland at any point around the bay is rolling countryside with a couple of high points, but in the main comprising scrubland and orchards of Olives, Almonds and citrus fruits.

We stayed in the Hotel Alicia with rooms over looking the sea to the east which made for some superb sunrises. The hotel is just about in the centre of the large bay and made an ideal central point from which to travel either on foot or using the local transport. As I retraced many of the same routes each day I’ll run through the sightings by area rather than by date, they are shown on the attached map.

Location Map

Starting with the north end –

Costa de los Pinos

The green route on the map. Taking either the ‘road train’ or local bus service (far cheaper) from the resort I used to travel up to this area afforested with pine trees. I think it’s an area of ancient pine forest that used to cover much of the island. Nowadays many trees have been cleared to make golf courses and for the construction of numerous swanky villas, but there are still plenty of trees about and plenty of birds in them too. In this area there are numerous species of birds. On several visits I found flocks of either 6 or 8 Hoopoe feeding on the well tended lawns. In the trees easily spotted were Crossbill, Goldcrest, Greenfinch, and Chaffinch. Easiest spotted were the numerous Feral Pigeons. The odd Robin, Wren, Nuthatch along with Starling and numerous Sparrows. Best bird for me though was seeing a Hawfinch from about 40 yards away. On the coast I found Cormorant and a Shag with several Audouin’s Gull.

Crossbill
Hoopoe

I used to then walk back to Cala Bona down the road. Half way back near Torre Nord was a good location for spotting Rose-ringed Parakeets. I only ever saw three together this year, whereas previously there have been up to nine together. Stonechat and Sardinian Warbler were about the only other birds I used to find near the road, other than Pigeons.

Son Severa

Shown in blue on the map. A walk of about four miles at most along one busy road and several back roads. We used to do this one more for the scenery than for the birds as you gain a fair bit of height above the coastal plain giving magnificent views. We always seem to find Red-legged Partridge whilst walking this route and this year was no exception, though not so numerous. The greatest delight was in finding a flock of 60+ Stone Curlew, a bird I’ve never seen before. It was only mid-way through he holiday that I spotted them skulking along the edge of the field. No doubt they were there right from the first day but being so well camouflaged I’d never spotted them. In fact I only spotted them whilst scanning for a Kestrel I’d seen land in a tree over head. I managed a couple of photos, but they were too far distant really.

Stone Curlew
Turtle Dove

Na Penyal

Shown in black on the map. Na Penyal is a small hill of about 300’ which overlooks the coastal plain, dominating the skyline in land. Whilst it was a nice if strenuous climb in the heat, it offered very little birding wise. The lower slopes held Red-Legged Partridge and Pheasant, but the upper slopes held only Stonechat. There was however quite a concentration of Swallowtail butterflies on the top. Regardless it was worth the climb just for the views.

Stonechat 1
Stonechat 2

Punta de n’Amer

Shown in orange on the map. This area forms the promontory at the southern end of the Cala Bona/Millor bay. In the main it is an area of rough limestone covered in parts with a layer of thin soil. The inland side still holds an area of old pine forest. The coastal edge holds Stonechat, Sardinian Warbler, Whinchat, Ring-billed Gull, Common Sandpiper and quite a few Audouin’s Gull and Cormorant. The forest holds Firecrest, Goldcrest, Wren, Woodlark, Blackbird and Flycatchers but you have to search hard to find the birds as they aren’t too numerous. The edge of the forest near the Cala Millor hotels is pretty consistent though for Firecrest also an area where we had superb views of a Hobby on one day.

Audouin's Gull

Cala Bona

Shown in yellow on the map. This was a route that I managed to cover almost every day, just a mile or so in distance but holding numerous species of birds. There are several back roads and lanes which you can wander along in between the various Olive groves and Almond orchards. Birds seen daily included Sardinian Warbler, Stonechat, Whinchat, Spanish Sparrow, House Sparrow, Tree Sparrow, Spotted Flycatcher, Serin, Zitting Cisticola, Hoopoe, Semi-collared Flycatcher, Balearic Warbler, Blackcap, Linnet, Turtle Dove, Great Tit, Redstart, Yellowhammer, Robin, Little Egret, Blue Rock Thrush, Kestrel, Stone Curlew and a few others that I couldn’t identify.

Spotted Flycatcher
Hoopoe
Sardinian Warbler
Zitting Cisticola
Serin

Cala Ratjada

About ten miles north of Cala Bona, but easily reached by public transport or Glass Bottom Boat (more expensive), but well worth a trip and having a walk up to the lighthouse. Another area of ancient pine forest which holds Nuthatch, Goldcrest, Firecrest and Crossbill.

We have been having family holidays in this area for the last ten years, but this year yielded the best birding by far. No doubt we will be returning next year too!

Last edited:
Ian, what a fantastic report.

I think you have "raised the bar" for the rest of us.

The Map... brilliant!!!

I'll get my Mallorca map and come back to this again and follow your progress!

Well thought out and well organised report. Easier to read in segments and even better with the links to your photo's. Great.

I agree with the comments already made. The map is an excellent idea. I'm off for a week's birding to Norfolk soon and was thinking I should do a report, but I don't think I can match this!

Nice one, Ian. I've got two good friends from Germany who have lived in Mallorca for years and are always trying to get me out there for a visit so perhaps I will do just that in the next couple of years. You saw quite a few birds that I've yet to catch up with such as Audouin's Gull and Balearic Warbler and you can never tire of seeing Hoopoes in my opinion.
One thing I noticed was that you mentioned Semi-collared Flycatcher. They breed in small numbers in Greece, Bulgaria and Turkey and I think would be a huge rarity in Spain, possibly a national first. Could it have been Pied?

Good map by the way.

E

Thanks for the replies everyone, you made me blush ;)

Edward, I thought long and hard about the Flycatcher and I'm the first to admit that my ID skills aren't brilliant. It was a female that I saw and I was happy to record it as semi-collared, through it's greyness and clearly defined white wing markings as in the Collins, though at the time I was more concerned with separating it from the Collared.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back