• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3rd party VR or IS lenses (1 Viewer)

cspratt

Besides the Canon IS (image stablization) system and
the Nikon VR (Gasp!) system are there any third party lenses
such as Sigma or Tamron that have a similar vibration reduction
built into their lenses that will work on the Canon 300D or
10D models? A run-on sentence I know :)

Sigman anounced one a year ago? Maybe more. They are way behind schedule on it and I don't believe it's even listed oh B&H any more. I'm not holding my breath.

It is/was a 80-400. They called it "OS" for optically stabilized.

Eric

Hi Chris,
As Eric states above, Sigma have an 80-400 OS(optically stabilised) lens which was due for release in the UK in August but has since been held back till Dec/Jan(???). I have heard rumours that the delay is to ensure electronic compatibility with the new Canon 300D consumer digital SLR. Though I am firmly biased in favour of Canon there is little doubt that they currently lead the market in their range of stabilised lenses( & effectiveness of image stabilisation technology). Visit Arthur Morris's site to see what's possible with Canon IS- including images created using a 600mm IS lens + stacked teleconvertors www.birdsasart.com/
cheers,
Steve

Some of Sigma's lenses offer a high quality option to camera-makers' own brand optics at quite a substantial saving in money terms but the proposed price of this particular lens will, I think be too close to, say, the Canon 100-400mm to attract too many buyers.

I couldn't find th price on it to say, but the 100-400 is a very good lens, so it would have to be a lot cheaper to make it a reasonable deal. Maybe it really aimed at the Nikon market, where the 80-400 isn't a very good lens (the AF is really, really slow.)

Steve G,
I find that rumor interesting. Compatability issues with the 300D? That lens has been delayed for over a year... the 300D wasn't out then. It sure sounds like an excuse to delay it further. Maybe real, but they've had other problems too.

Eric

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back