• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Here's Something You Don't See Every Day.... (1 Viewer)

Ruby

I guess a chap's gotta drink, but somehow a GSW doesn't seem the likeliest of birds to turn up and take a drink from your birdbath.

Never seen it in my garden at any rate....

Rgds.... Ruby

Attachments

• Gsw.jpg
    Gsw.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 212
Nice picture, Ruby. We're quite lucky where we are, we get GSW in the garden on a regular basis...although not too often on the bird bath. I did get a nice view last Spring when a female GSW was feeding a juvenile, the juvenile was sitting on the bird bath and the female was getting it food-mainly from the fat feeder. Only if I had a decent camera then I could of got some great shots.

Billy Boy

Where I get many woodpeckers at my feeders, I don't believe I have ever seen one at the bath. Good capture Ruby!

Last edited:
Our recent addition to the garden is also a woodpecker. He regularly goes to the hanging bird bath drinking. I'l still trying to take a pic of him drinking....

Thanks for the kind words guys....

He's been back today, so it looks hopeful that he may stick around for a while.

Interestingly enough, he's completely ignoring my peanut feeder, and I've watched GSW completely dominate these elsewhere before - I wonder if he'll take to it??

Ruby

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back